Does this look like Hopi?

Yes, I’m at another great Midwest flea market and trying to apply my Turquiose People knowledge. Wondering if this piece is Hopi. There are no hash marks in the dark areas so that’s why I’m curious. Thanks for any insight you can lend!

3 Likes

You just can’t be certain. We look for those hash marks and hallmark to identify as Hopi. The design is Hopi.

4 Likes

Earlier Hopi silverwork didn’t uniformly have the hash marks in the blackened layer, but given the convex cuff shape, dating it later than the first years, you’d expect to see it. As you may know, there are Mexican imitations of Hopi material.

4 Likes

Doesn’t look like Hopi to me. Looks like Navajo production saw work. We used to see a lot of this type of work in the 70s and 80s. The quality of the saw work isn’t bad, but it meanders slightly on longer curves, indicating it was cut quickly from a template tracing, most likely in a production setting.

7 Likes

@chicfarmer @mmrogers @Jason , thank you so much for weighing in! I try to apply what I learn here, but there’s always so much more to absorb. I did pass on it due to my lack of knowledge. For the price there were just too many question marks. It didn’t call to me, but it definitely winked! Lol

3 Likes