Eugene Martinez Valley Blue cuff

Of course, no worries and I’m glad you raised the topic because it’s always fascinating to learn the relationships of the old mines and unusual stones. :slightly_smiling_face: It continues to surprise me that so much is left to oral history and memory about who mined what when; you’d think there would be a definitive book that’s been updated, but there really isn’t.

3 Likes

I agree completely. And the major problem with the internet is that once something is said it is perpetuated whether it’s correct or not. What I found out was by accidentally contacting a relative. And occasionally even the books have mistakes. I have a pendant that I finally identified after a very long time and it said the woman was Orville Tsinnie’s mother. A relative contacted me and said that she was not actually his mother but an older member of the family that they also referred to as mother. :woman_shrugging:
The worst part is that the older generation is leaving us and so much undocumented info is going with them. It’s sad to loose so much history.

2 Likes

It really is interesting, isn’t it? About the history of the mines and how they are connected. It would be a Herculean task to prepare an accurate book on that topic; there just doesn’t seem to be much information out there and it’s a lot of hearsay.

I also find it interesting how the names change over the years with ownership, and how a mine will close and reopen as something else (or a new mine reopens within very close proximity to an old one that was supposedly depleted), or material will come from the same mountain or area yet it is considered different types of turquoise.

3 Likes

I went back to the Nevada Gem site and reread the Dry Creek page. I couldn’t find Valley Blue listed. I saw something that I didn’t notice before when I was concentrating on the cabs on the page. I underlined the date mentioned.
So it’s still not settled because there is nothing to show what else came out of the mines. @Jason would you like to join this ongoing discussion?