Fake or authentic concho belt?

Just purchased this concho belt, my first. But not sure if it is authentic or even if the silver is real (my silver testing acid has expired). However, the conchos aren’t attracted to a magnet; I do get some tarnish off them when rubbed with a white cloth; and ice also seems to melt quickly when placed on them. There are no silver or 925 markings nor are there any maker hallmarks that I can find. The turquoise look real (similar matrix and coloring; under a loupe some appear to have pyrite inclusions). The conchos are 2" x 1.5" and are fairly lightweight. There are 14 of them. The belt strapping is only 3/4" wide. It looks like maybe it was made for a woman or young person? Some of the belt pass- throughs on the back are copper colored and some are brass colored. Any educated thoughts or guesses on this belt? I wanted it because of the shadowbox conchos and because there are enough matching conchos for me to replace the belting for a longer length and the spacing still be attractive. What do you all think??

6 Likes

Sure looks real to me. Congratulations!

4 Likes

Conchas do look real if not traditional. This belt is done in a shadowbox style which was especially popular in the 70s. Judging from the tarnish, this looks like sterling, and the stones look like Natural Sleeping beauty, or possibly Kingman. This is Navajo style work, and from the looks of it, handmade.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the info, MM! I was concerned that I’d been bamboozled and the conchas (thanks for the correction) might be nickel silver. Does it devalue the belt to replace the strapping? Any suggestions on where to buy replacement strapping and does it need to be replaced by someone experienced in working with concho belts or is it something I can do? Also why are the belt holders not silver?

3 Likes

Hi Rachel. Replacing the strap has no effect on the value. You just want to find one in the right width that’s comfortable for you. You can find a variety of straps on Etsy. The brackets which hold the conchas on the belt are usually made of copper or brass. This is because silver is expensive, and these fixtures are utilitarian in nature and don’t need to be made of silver.

7 Likes

These belts might give you more information about your belt.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, TAH!

3 Likes