First/Dream trip to the 4 Corners Area

Hello, I’m Natalie from SW Virginia and have been browsing the forum for a few months. I am not a collector, but buy items that catch my eye. In May I purchased this squash blossom set neat Monument Valley.
Since I’m am vertically challenged, I wanted to purchase a squash blossom around the low 20” range.

11 Likes

Nice piece, thanks for sharing and welcome to Turquoise People. This looks like a new piece and the hallmark is interesting. The Naja has the hallmark for Martha Cayatineto and the dangle has a different mark. Did they tell you anything when you purchased the piece?

2 Likes

@Jason Thank you for the welcome and info.
When I purchased this piece they, Gouldings, didn’t offer any history about it. Are some squash blossoms collaborations or is this something that was put together with scrap pieces?
Regardless of its origin, I am pleased to finally have one.

1 Like

We will never know. Lots of work can be collaborations. Martha sells her najas by themselves so I imagine it was purchased by a dealer and had his own piece worker turn it into a squash blossom with the addition of the turquoise stone. Yes, it has a great look.

2 Likes

@Jason What kind of turquoise is on the naja?
Thanks again for the info. I appreciate your reply and knowledge.

1 Like

It looks like a piece of Blue Bird Turquoise. Mark Smith had some of this with pyrite if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Jason

I recently bought this piece which I really like. It is very similar to the blue bird turquoise you posted and also has some pyrite in it. I thought it might be Kingman but it looks more like Blue Bird. Your thoughts?

It is by Vernon Jajola who was a potter and also did some silversmith.

1 Like

@Jason Once again, thank you. You are a wealth of knowledge.

1 Like

Beautiful piece, I feel like it resembles Kingman Turquoise.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion. I initially thought it was Kingman but then saw the picture of blue bird and thought it might be that since it looks so deep turquoise…like clear turquoise water on a tropical island.

2 Likes