I agree, a great book about such an interesting time! The story of the first documented discovery of the cliff dwellings never fails to enthrall…thanks for reminding me!
Ugh, did you guys see this?
How dreadful, sickening. The disrespect and egotism involved…I hope he’s collared and receives appropriate punishment.
I don’t want to like this post, but want to thank you for bringing it to our attention, Orbit. I’ll “like” it for that reason only.
I had a discussion with Frank Hill recently about some disrespectful viewers at Hopi dances and their disruption of ceremony. I refuse to discriminate, especially with disrespect. These people, and anyone like them, should be escorted out by the business end of a rope hitched to a saddle horn…rather quickly.
Should have left the Crow Man kachinas and their yucca whips take care of these clowns. ![]()
People are so intent on the all-important selfie :(, and nothing else matters (this particular offender seems to be older than I would have expected). More than one has taken a short step off a long cliff trying for the perfect shot, leaving to others a perilous retrieval. This seems to be part and parcel of the entitlement mentality we were discussing elsewhere.
Last time I was at the Art Institute in Chicago, you could hardly view some items for the crowds clustered around to get the perfect photo of themselves front and center. Good thing there isn’t furniture for them to climb on. They didn’t “see” any more than they could have by looking at others’ photos online.
This is horrible. Why that man thought he had a right to climb on historic furniture is beyond me. Which then led to the destruction of a sacred Hopi artifact! All for a photo, grrr. Sooooo disrespectful. I hope that he’s caught.
It’s a sign of an increasingly self-centered society where people have less and less respect for other people and their property, and history/culture/preservation and proper treatment of those things. And it’s really sad that positive reinforcement and likes of one’s social feed has become so all-encompassing that it trumps common sense and decency.
There was major flooding in Bright Angel Canyon yesterday, at Phantom Ranch and the vicinity. About 60 evacuated by helicopter and NPS searching for about 20 more. Apparently some bridges washed out and Phantom Ranch and the North Kaibab trail are closed for the foreseeable future. Hopefully everyone’s ok.
If I read it right it washed out most of the bridges in the campground area, and they’re saying the other two big Bridges across the Colorado are also closed. They have also stopped all river traffic for now due to structures in the river. Crazy!
Thanks for the info Chic. The power of that river in flood stage is beyond imagination. Those poor hikers! I’m sure it will take a lot of work to open both Bright Angel trail with those foot bridges destroyed, and restore Phantom Ranch. Hope those on the river are OK..those canyons that empty at rapids could also flood and bring more boulders (and water) down into the canyon…scary!
Looks like it’s causing closures of all overnight accommodations on the South Rim as well, due to water restrictions.
The river is open again to boaters, with advice to scout and use extra precautions at all rapids below Phantom Ranch.
As far as I know Bright Angel trail is not physically affected; it’s the North Kaibab trail that’s flooded and closed. Flooding made worse by the scarring to the landscape by last years Dragon Bravo fire on the North rim.
Oh no. Awful.
…..charachters
Grand Canyon is under flash flood alerts again, and all the way down to Cameron. My nephew who is the superintendent at Colorado National Monument was getting trained in search and rescue and such. I found out about a week ago that he was sent to Phantom Ranch after the deadly floods. I haven’t heard any details from him yet.
Parts of Phoenix are getting hit hard to today, but my friend who lives on the north side said they’ve only gotten half an inch, but it is flooding.
