Found in my grandfather's safe

Beautiful piece. Hopefully it ends up with a collector who wears it. The artist/creator would want that I think. Did you have to bring up morels? …Making me hungry!

2 Likes

Lol. I hear you. we used the last of dehydrated morel powder on pizza last night. Impatiently waiting to start a new season. Nothing better than cracker battered fried morels. Dang, I’m making myself hungry too.

2 Likes

We found some morels randomly on my parents property last summer! I’m hoping they pop up again this year.

1 Like

That’s great! Last year wasn’t the best around here. Hopefully this year will be better.

2 Likes

Just have to add my 2¢. If you aren’t going to wear it but still appreciate it, mount it in a shadow box frame & hang it on your wall. This one needs restringing before it gets hung!

If you are interested in selling I’m sure there are others besides myself here that would be interestd. You can private message anyone here by clicking on their name since this part of the site is not for selling.
Welcome to the forum - a great place to learn (started learning lots not too long ago!)

5 Likes

Your necklace is beautiful. Just sent you a pm. Thanks again for the display suggestion.

2 Likes

I’m really late to this thread, but was wondering if you kept the necklace, maybe tried wearing it, or put it in a frame for display. It is so beautiful, and it’s always wonderful to have a piece of your family’s history. I didn’t wear much Native American jewelry till my dad passed away when I was in high school, and I got one of his buckles. That started me on a wonderful journey.

I don’t wear muck boots much, but I teach ice skating. I wear my Native American jewelry with my ice skates, down coats, and ski pants! Actually, I wear it with anything. Even when I’m out hiking in the middle of nowhere.

4 Likes

This is a fabulous Necklace!! Take it to a certified GIA jeweler that has a laser welder. (they don’t produce heat since the stones would shatter if a regular acetylene/02 torch was used). They will be very careful to make sure this is done correctly. Sunshine cloths are very good but do not be aggressive with the polishing. Do you have more of a close up image of the back of the pendant that is on the naja? Also, I cannot really tell if the silver beads are on a chain, or silver wire. DHT

2 Likes

It looks like
silver chain.

Here’s a few more pics.

And thank you for the info about repairs!
Here is the back of the piece that came off the naja

1 Like

Laser welder is a good suggestion. However, hitting silver solder with the level of heat necessary to get a good weld causes silver solder to spatter explosively.

The broken piece was most like originally soldered on with #65 silver solder, and the solder will likely need to be completely removed to do the repair properly.

Honestly, I’d just silver solder it and use an oxidizer like Hilox to bring it back to its heavily tarnished state if you want to keep that look.

2 Likes