Frank Ortega and High Grade Turquoise

I’m searching for information on Frank Ortega, as I was not able to find any information on him in Hougart’s 4th edition. My uncle has this ring and bracelet set with fantastic turquoise, or maybe gaspeite? Variscite? What do you guys think?

4 Likes

You may have already seen this. It’s from a Frank Ortega Jr. it doesn’t mention N/A at all but looks like it could be. It has a split shank. Signature has the added Jr. but is otherwise very close, the way the k in frank finishes and the bottom of the g in Ortega is slightly bent but no real curve back up at the end. Found it and thought I’d throw it out there.

1 Like

Those are beautiful pieces! Could that possibly be Damale turquoise?

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn’t considered that he might not even be NA. Also, I did see the ring but I didn’t notice that it was signed with the Jr. suffix. I wonder if they’re different or the same person

I’m not sure Dana :thinking: most vintage damele is usually left with the lumpy nugget texture. I’m not even sure if this it turquoise!

This is one of my bracelets that has Demale in it. The artist is Will Denetdale, I have had it about 10 years.

2 Likes

I found information on Frank Ortega Jr. He was born on Soboba Indian Reservation. He was a SilverSmith and gemologist.

3 Likes

I posted your photos on the lapidary forum I am a member of.
ID came back as Faustite, AKA Green Turquoise from an unknown location.
To me it looks like Turquoise or Variscite from Damele mine in NV.
If others in the forum chime in I will let you know.

4 Likes

I usually never get these right but the bracelet looks like New Landers and the ring to be Carico Lake to me.

1 Like

Faustite came into turquoise terminology in 1954. Faustite is a massive, bright green, zinc-rich member of the Turquoise group. It is the same structure as Turquoise but the copper element has been replaced by zinc.

2 Likes

I found these today. The hallmark makes me wonder if Frank Ortega May have been a shop mark?

2 Likes

The Ortega family owns/owned several different businesses in the Southwest. I know they still have the View a hotel in Monument Valley. You might just call and see if you can visit with someone in the gift shop.

1 Like

Is this the same Ortega family or a different one?

1 Like

I’m not sure! When I lived in NM, the Ortega’s had shops all over. But I wasn’t familiar with the name “Frank.” I think you are right about it though!

You see the Ortega name used heavily, I don’t know the specifics but I do believe one of the brothers sold the rights to the name. We have a shop in town that is an Ortega shop not owned by any Ortega.

1 Like