Fun day at the gem/mineral show

Our city’s bi-annual gem show was today…and Stracci never misses this event!

Hubby and I found a few treasures.
And I spotted this awesome tufa cast ring by Kevin Yazzie!
It’s big, bold and I love it!

And we picked up a few cabs.
Husband chose the stones in the top row…he’s pretty sure I’m going to make him some rings!
I almost fought him over that great pear-shaped piece of Whitewater!

16 Likes

@Stracci Love your new ring! Looking forward to seeing your hubby’s new rings😀. Nice rhodochrosite cab. My husband & I need to head over to NM for this Gem Show! It looks larger & better than our annual Gem & Mineral Show. Ours keeps shrinking in size with no new vendors in sight.

4 Likes

nice that your new ring fits your communication finger
:+1:

4 Likes

Love the ring! Is it tufa cast?

You know for those of us who aren’t great with our gems and minerals, you have to tell us what are all the stones that you bought :grin: In particular I’m curious about the gray and white one, 2nd from the right, top row. It reminded me of a Petoskey stone until I made the image larger.

5 Likes

@newpawn Next time I give the finger, that stupid driver is really gonna notice!

@Ziacat Yes, the ring is tufa cast!
I had seen a cuff bracelet recently with the same star design in a shop, and they wanted $300+. When I saw this ring, I knew it was the same artist, so I grabbed it. I don’t think the seller knew anything about it, and it was a steal at $40.

About the stones:
The white stone is called “wild horse”, and it’s magnesite with brown matrix.
The next one is Whitewater turquoise, then rhodochrosite, then Bryozoan fossil, an animal similar to coral.
The last one on top is #8.
Bottom row: two from Royston then the last two I don’t know, probably Kingman😃haha

7 Likes

@Patina
We have these shows here twice a year, and they have 50-70 dealers.
It takes us 3 or 4 hours to get through it.
And I love every minute!

1 Like

Wow… I’ve got to look up Gem and Mineral shows and see if there is one near by. Love the ring and hubby’s pick of crazy horse,

1 Like

That is a steal!

Thanks for the stone identification; it’s fun to learn. I might have guessed number 8 on the one, but I don’t think I would have guessed Royston on the other two. Turquoise can be a puzzle!

I wasn’t way off on the other, since it’s similar to fossilized coral. Here’s Petoskey stones…

5 Likes

I’m jealous @Stracci . We have the crapiest “gem & mineral” shows here. Dealers don’t have much of anything and the show people mix it with overpriced jewelry dealers that want the earth and moon for karat gold bling. I will say this, they sure invest a lot in halogen lighting. Looking forward to your upcoming creations.

3 Likes

“Next time I give the finger, that stupid driver is really gonna notice!”
:rofl:

2 Likes

Love the star ring! But all those gems–how can you ever narrow down your choices! Amazing array! The rhodochrosite is a stunner!

2 Likes

Ooooh Petosky Stones, when I was a “summer girl” I looked after two young sisters (ages 5 & 3) while the family stayed in their summer cottage on Torch Lake, Michigan! It was so much fun collecting Petosky Stones (rock fossils)!!! TY for the trip back to my youth!

2 Likes

I know Torch Lake! Blue like the Caribbean! Never spent time on it, but have driven by it many times. Most recently in the fall of '22 we took 31 from Mackinaw City to Sleeping Bear Dunes and went right by Torch Lake. I have memories of searching for Petoskey stones on the shores of northern Lake Michigan. I never had much luck even though others in my family found them :laughing:

You are welcome; the Great Lakes area is in my blood!

3 Likes