G&AB Navajo Squash Blossom Necklace

I recently inherited a beautiful Squash Blossom necklace. After some thorough research, I believe this piece was made by George and Anna Begay (hallmark is etched with G&AB). Could anyone be able to identify/confirm the hallmark and tell me the value? I believe this would be a 1970s era piece.

3 Likes

Welcome to Turquoise People! I couldn’t find the hallmark but I am very familiar with the necklace. I did do a search for George Begay and Anna Begay and don’t get anything like this in my search. Squash blossoms are a speciality and usually if an artist makes this style they do it over and over again.

1 Like

Hi @Jason! Thank you for your quick response. I found another website that references them but when I searched their names I didn’t find much. There is a brooch on Ebay with the same etched initials but no other information. I thought maybe I didn’t know where to look being a newbie! Can you verify if this is a true Navajo piece and it’s monetary value?

1 Like

Nice squash blossom. Yes it does have monetary value—a decent amount. Are there any other markings besides the etched initials? If a google search isn’t bringing up the same necklace for the name you are looking for maybe you could try a google image search and see if that leads you to a similar squash that has a different name. If it turns up a different name try following that search for a bit and see if you find it.
The other way would be to browse through the squash blossom sections of reputable stores and/or sellers. Perry Null, Medicine Man Gallery(usually older things), Browns Trading, Cameron Trading Post, etc. There is also a woman who sells on several sites who sells quality stuff and has been there for years.
She uses Turquoise Kachina on Etsy and aliongueen on eBay. Another shop is Durango Silver.
I’m sure some of the other members may be able to offer more advice. Best of luck!

1 Like

@Islandmomma! I didn’t even think about Google Image Search…it led me to a site that had the exact same style Squash Blossom!! Thank you for the advice. The site does not share the hallmarks or names of the artist but hopefully I am getting closer. They did have a value which is nice but I still would like to know the artist. There are no other markings except the initials G&AB. I will keep looking!! Thanks again!

1 Like