Green graduated heishi necklace with silver cylinder beads and a silver embellished pendant

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out who may made this necklace. The seller said she bought it around Taos approximately 20-30 years ago. She couldn’t remember the artist. I have asked several people who’s families make beads and so far no hits. It is string on string and has stretched a little over the years. There are tiny white heishi between the lower turquoise heishi. Any and all help will be appreciated. An approximate value would also be great. Thanks for your help.

6 Likes

That necklace is gorgeous. I hope you can get the info you need. Sorry I am no help at all.

1 Like

I hate to say it, but that may be a tough one to figure out. Most of the necklaces I have similar to that are not signed. I just happened to have bought them from the artists so I knew who made them.

1 Like

I know but I’ve been concentrating on the different styles by different families. I’ve seen some similar but haven’t gotten confirmation on any yet. Now if I were to hear it was worth a million or two, I wouldn’t care who made it. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

The necklace looks so much like many I’ve seen (even one I have by Mary Lovato), but the pendant part is a bit different. I’ll keep my eyes open, and if I see anything similar I’ll post.

1 Like

Wow that is gorgeous and so unusual, love the color. The pendent is a work of art!
I wonder why some of the older stuff was put on string? I have a liquid silver necklace that is on wire and i tried to tell my friend that gave it to me that its supposed to flow like silk and it doesn’t, at least not on that wire. I wanted to redo it and she said i would ruin it…ugh.

1 Like

Yes Lovato was one of the families I was checking. Also Aguilar, Coriz etc. Hopefully @Jason or one of the others will have an idea about the artist. I can’t even say 100% that it’s Native but it sure has the look.

1 Like

Why don’t you just restring it and not tell her. It would definitely move more smoothly. I haven’t worn mine in years but I think it may have been on a monofilament type material. Liquid silver is not handmade and restringing will not hurt it. I have even had to have Native beads restrung because they either broke or were in danger of breaking. If it will make it more comfortable then I would go for it.

3 Likes

Here is the one my mom bought from Mary C Lovato prob 20 years ago at the Eiteljorg Art Market.

There is an regular address on the receipt but no email.

3 Likes

WOW! Thanks for posting this. There are so many similarities that is makes me want to search her work. It has the same large hook, the cylinder beads are stamped with the same pattern and she has used the tiny heishi between the bottom stones. I’m sure many have those similarities but I will certainly check out Mary’s work now. :blush:

1 Like

Your welcome! I have seen other pieces with the same qualities, but with so many similarities between the two, I figured it was worth posting. And maybe your pendant will help with the identification. Yours is beautiful! I have a saguaro pendant with Sonoran Gold turquoise that I put on it sometimes; otherwise I often wear it layered with some Navajo pearls.

My mom used to go with me to the market, and I have some lovely pieces I inherited from her. So many good memories with the jewelry!

2 Likes

You have probably already checked if you were able, but the Santo Domingo will often stamp top or bottom of the sterling cylinder beads. Beautiful necklace. You have some wonderful pieces.

4 Likes