Hallmark on Bolo

They look like maybe shoes?

1 Like

Not sure about shoes, but I see a bear paw. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I mean the markings on the back. Boots or ???

1 Like

They look like spoons to me?

1 Like

They look like little golf clubs too.

3 Likes

Well what a cool piece. This is most likely an example of Hopi Overlay work. I think maybe in the Koinva family or maybe Havalo. The marks are called pictomarks(the Hopi used pictomarks much more than other tribes to sign work) and because they are pictures used as id marks and normally have familial or more personal meanings about who the artist is personally/spirtually. There are a lot to sort through but this stuff should get you started at least a little. I couldnt find what i felt to be an exact match but heres what I think… the pictures could be of a ceremonial pipe, a rattle, or maybe a symbol of legs/feet which is why there are two maybe??? Rare Lauren Koinva Hopi Overlay Sterling Silver Ring. Vintage - Etsy

Goodluck! I cant wait to see who it may be. Thanks for sharing.
~Koliopee

I found a ceremonial pipe hallmark in Hougart’s book for a Joe Coochyumptewa. I did a google search and didn’t find anything but it might be worth a deeper dive.

1 Like

Thanks Jason, they do look like pipes! I checked that name and there are several pieces by him listed. The signature on them are of leaves though. Here is one.

This is the work of John Coochyumptewa, says it is the nephew of Joe Coochyumptewa.

1 Like