Happy Mother’s Day!

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Mommas out there. Featuring my grandmother’s squash from the 60’s/70’s💕

9 Likes

Sweet : ) Yay grandma’s squash and your art work too. Thanks Bree

2 Likes

Thank you and your grandmothers squash blossom necklace is lovely! Happy Mother’s Day to all of the other mothers.

2 Likes

That squash blossom is a sensational piece! It’s so cool with the “fleur de lys” and star edge detail (sorry I don’t know the terminology) Actually I see that you are showing 2 necklaces. The top one with the “tabs” is unusual. Tell us more! I don’t suppose you’d like to post a modeling shot? Pretty please and thank you!!

2 Likes

Oh, you’re right! I though it was one necklace, with a bit that would hang down the back…

1 Like

@Scdub thank you so much for the compliments :heart: I will say that it’s a different squash, and I haven’t seen one similar to it, I’m lucky to own it.

@Rosemaryr the “tab” necklace is actually a bear(?) claw necklace, with three cast claws. People usually think it’s an older piece until they examine it up close.

The claws are cast and then Inlayed. I think this was probably made after the mid 1970’s because of that. I’ve seen these before, however they’re usually chip Inlay(which sort of reaffirms that mine was made in the ~1970’s), and there’s usually only 1 claw. This is one of my favorite pieces, and one of the first that started my collection.

7 Likes

Very nice. You see this style get attributed to Dan Simplicio often Item ID: 486ZUN298 In Shop Backroom Sill Tribal Trading & Kjuneo Jewelry | Ruby Lane

1 Like

@Jason I did notice that it shared a lot of commonalities with Simplico’s style, and how i wish it was. I’ve researched Simplico’s work for a few weeks after acquiring it, and I just can’t say for sure!

Thank you for the modeling shot. You look beautiful! I love to see how people style their pieces. The bear claw tab necklace is definitely different, though so is your squash blossom. I don’t know how to tell that it’s been cast. Are the beads called navajo pearls and are they hand made? I don’t know how to tell that either?.but learning a bit everyday. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

You look lovely and the wonderful necklaces just compliment your pretty smile. :star_struck:

2 Likes

You are very lucky it’s beautiful. So special that it came from your Mom. I wish my Grandmother or Mother had been interested in jewery of any type. No such luck, I think I must be compensating for that or at least that’s my excuse :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes