Headed to NM in Aug-Sept

We’ll be in Albq/Jemez about 12 days, straddling labor day. Looking forward to the arts & crats market at Kewa, and i think Laguna and Acoma also have feast days while we are out there. We lived in NM for many years but haven’t been back since 2010. We have a long list of favorite restaurants and sites to see. Any recommendations for wonderful things that have cropped up since 2010?

the cherry on top will be a day at Pagosa hot springs on the way back to MO… after we spend 3 or 4 in Jemez. :smiley: i’m a water baby at heart.

4 Likes

Oh I love New Mexico! You were so blessed to have lived there. And I love it that my nephew lives there so we have another excuse to go visit. I don’t know how long it’s been there, (I think it’s pretty new) but he took us to a really fun place to eat near Old Town Albuquerque called the Sawmill Market.

1 Like

We drove through Pagosa Hot springs last summer on our way from Grand junction back to ABQ. I hadn’t been there in probably 15 years, and it has grown A LOT. But still such a beautiful area.

1 Like

If you get close enough you should visit us in Gallup, The 15 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2022 | Travel | Smithsonian Magazine

3 Likes

Jason, i would LOVE to!!! i’d ask for you by name. :smiley:

1 Like

+1 on Sawmill Market and stay across the street at Hotel Chaco.

2 Likes

My brother has stayed at Hotel Chaco and really liked it. We stayed at the remodeled Rt 66 El Vado Hotel which is on Central Ave (route 66 for those who don’t know) really close to Old Town. I forgot that it was newly opened since Jemez2 has been there. Even if you can’t stay there, check it out. They have a lot of little shops and restaurant pods with a patio area and live music, and a lot of people come over and enjoy it. It is one of my favorite hotels I’ve stayed in in a long time. It’s pretty cool and hip, and even though I’m not super hip we fit in just fine.elvadoabq.com

Hey…I figured out how to put in a link woohoo (I was trying to make it too difficult)

4 Likes

Thank you, Jason, for the link to the Smithsonian article. I’ve been to Gallup several times and somehow missed Perry Null :thinking:. I won’t the next time! I also saw Winslow, AZ made the list, and Canyon City, CO where one of my nieces lives (she works on the train in the gorge). If we make it west this fall we were going to visit her, so it was fun to see her town in the article.

In Albuquerque check out Cocina Azul on Paseo Del Norte, or Montgomery for excellent New Mexican food. Prices are decent and the food is out of this world. My favorite there is Carne Adovada Enchiladas, with a side of Sopapillas. Also love their Huevos Rancheros with whole beans and green Chile. I usually get a side of Carne Adovada with the Huevos. I think you can order the Enchiladas with blue corn tortillas. Another favorite!

3 Likes

Albuquerquean here.
Wow, that’s a long word!!! Haha!
Anyway, the Railyard Market, Old Town (of course),
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, with Laguna Burger across the street. Famous for their Green Chile burgers.

Jewelry places to visit:
Gertrude Zachary, Lilly Barrak, Mariposa Gallery, Palms Trading. Lots of turquoise shopping in Old Town. On Central Ave, Cowboys and Indians.

And for gemstone buying, Mama’s Minerals and my personal favorite, Southwestern Minerals.
Of course, it will be hot, so be prepared for the killer sun.
Have fun!

2 Likes

To @mmrogers …YUM. Now I want NM food (although I did have a fabulous Great Lakes Whitefish taco this eve).

To @Stracci …when we visited ABQ last summer the gentleman at Palms Trading who fixed my jewelry was so kind. And I loooooove Cowboys and Indians Antiques!

Next time I’m there I will take the advice of both of you!

2 Likes

that reminds me i need to take my wedding ring with me in to be resized! We had a jeweler in Corrales makes ours with channel set turquoise, and i haven’t been able to wear mine in years (weight gain). i never trusted anyone in the midwest to size it, and never trusted the post to send it to him.

2 Likes

After reading thru this thread, I need to go back to NM! …maybe it’s not to late to find a room (and tickets?), to the August market in Santa Fe :thinking:

2 Likes

Ohhh, MMR, my mouth is watering just thinking of all the carne adovada and sopapillas waiting for me… we still lament the loss of Ron’s Camino Real, down near Yale/Coal as i recall. Their carne adovada was the only thing that kick started my labor when my kidlet was a week overdue in 2003. I think they closed not long after. I hear Mary & Tito’s is pretty good too. Of course Sadie’s - their margs! And Weck’s for breakfast, and of course The Range… and i’ve been craving a good Lotaburger…

our favorite India Kitchen is gone now too - Ajay and Rajul knew our orders as soon as we walked in the door. i miss their vindaloo!

dammit. so hungry now.

3 Likes

I remember Mama’s! and C&I antiques, as well as a numnber of other antiques on Central. there used to be an awesome mineral shop in Taos too.

Fun fact - i had a job interview with GZ once, like in 1998ish maybe? she was looking for a PA. She scared the hell out of me. Very big personality. i reallllly wanted to get into the jewelry biz, bit not that bad. We did not click.

3 Likes

I had spent more time in Santa Fe than ABQ till my nephew moved there. He took us to a some great restaurants while we visited. I was trying to remember the names, and your post jogged my memory on one - The Range.

3 Likes