Help authenticating Squash Blossom necklace

Hello! Glad to have found this website. I’ve always wanted a squash blossom necklace and for Christmas I was lucky enough to receive one. I’m a bit concerned that my fiancé may have purchased a fancy piece of costume jewelry at the price of an authentic necklace.

The big giveaway is the clasp, it’s obviously not authentic. But perhaps the necklace was restrung and that clasp added?

The beads and bezels are not magnetic but I don’t have any other way of testing to see if it’s sterling.

The stones look real but I don’t know how to tell if they are real turquoise. Strange thing, they are magnetic on the front of the stone but the metal on the back is not magnetic.

The necklace feels light to me but again, I’m not sure how much it should weigh.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

5 Likes

Welcome to the site!

I am not an expert, especially on squashes, but I agree the turquoise looks real; I can’t tell if it’s stabilized. I noticed the clasp also, but I had a necklace repaired that now has a different type clasp than the original. If you wait, there should be others with way more experience than me joining in this conversation.

I don’t see any hallmarks; is that correct? That doesn’t mean it’s not real, just can help.

2 Likes

Being magnetic on the front of the stone I believe would indicate it’s age is more recent when they started using a backing on stabilized turquoise as a base to make it possible to shape and polish the stone. Does not make it fake by any means. As Ziacat said - there will be more answers from more knowledgeable people than myself.

3 Likes

@Ziacat Thanks for your insight. You are correct, there are no markings that I could find on the necklace.

1 Like

turquoise is sometimes given a backing for added strength & height to give it depth for bezel settings.
one of the products some lapidaries use is a product by Devcon called Liquid Steel.
here is a short video showing Liqud Steel being used on thin slabs of turquoise before cabbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoJz9QIwJ-s

these pendants were not backed with liquid steel. another type of non-magnetic epoxy was used and you can see the amount of depth/strength that was achieved.

4 Likes

@TryingToLearn Interesting, it was strange to me that the stones are magnetic. I’m learning so much from this site already!

3 Likes

Thus my name!!! This was the first site I started to gain knowledge about turquoise and Native American Jewelry,

2 Likes

in all honesty, it looks legit to me. i agree with restrung or at least a modern clasp refit. i made that mistake myself on a very vintage necklace, due to a skin irritation from the original clasp. now i have a very vintage necklace with a shady import clasp. :frowning:

Squashes are made in varying qualities - from museum grade stones with high-end artistic craftsmanship, to entry-level stones and everyday craftsmanship. yours is probably solid entry level. very nicely matched bright blue probably stabilized kingman stones, clean and tidy basic silverwork but nothing fancy or elaborate. My guess, could be anywhere from the 70s to current. Most liekly 80s or 90s? Enjoy it and wear it in good health!

3 Likes

@Jemez2 Thank you for your insight. I feel much better now after hearing people’s thoughts. I love the simplicity of the necklace and will definitely enjoy wearing it!

1 Like