Help explain this Old Cuff with 2 halves

Hey ya’ll… you’re my only hope to learn about this cuff I bought at an online auction. I guess I didn’t look at it very closely at the time, because all I could see were the turquoise stones! But when it arrived in the mail today I was and am stumped: The cuff has 2 identical halves with 3 cabochons on each side, but the center where the 2 sides meet isn’t soldered, instead the just barely overlap. The cuff isn’t signed or stamped, but appears and feels like sterling. Please help talk about its age, why it wasn’t soldered in the center, and the Blue Blue turquoise (notice the stone that has a drill or gouge mark). I paid $160. any thoughts on if it’s worth more or less.

5 Likes

IMHO it’s a very nice NA bracelet and I think the person just made it that way. Looks fine and the stones are a great blue, probably stabilized. The gouge looks like a stone hit a wheel during a polishing phase. Price seemed reasonable from what I’ve been seeing lately.

6 Likes

I like it.
The two sides remind me of watch tips.

6 Likes

That’s what I was thinking also. Lovely turquoise.

4 Likes

@fernwood At first glance, I thought they were watch tips. Then, realized they were too large (maybe) to be that.

4 Likes

I agree with @StevesTrail; just looks like someone decided to design it that way. Very interesting cuff with lovely turquoise. Do I see pyrite in one of the stones? So maybe Kingman or Morenci? Off the top of my head I can’t remember if there’s pyrite in other types of turquoise. I can never tell about stabilization or no, unless there’s obvious color change.

2 Likes

I imagine it looks awesome while wearing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for your input, everyone! I’m glad to hear that people like it. The color of the turquoise is stunning, and yes, it’s pyrite on the one stone, from my point of view. This is what I thought about the gouge in the turquoise, too. I’ll clean up the grime just a touch and it should look even better. Any thoughts on its age?

1 Like