Help ID Navajo Cuff Bracelet Hallmark

Hello to all, I’m trying to find out who this hallmark belongs to. It is WIT with a sunburst on either side of the word sterling. Thank you for any help you can provide me with!

1 Like

I’m going to stick my neck out a bit here and say it LOOKS like it could be a mark of Wilson Tsosie and the stars maybe a shop mark as he did a lot of work for various places during his career.
This is by no means a definite identification but gives you something to work on.

1 Like

7 yrs. later but thank you. I’m guessing this is Navajo? It isn’t overlay at least not the Hopi style I’m used to so I’m wondering do you think the background was ever black? It doesn’t have the usual cut marks left on Hopi overlay and I’m not that familiar with Navajo stamp work, it’s like a slight combination of the two in a way. Anyway, hope all is well with you.

1 Like

I see a conjoined WH on your cuff.

Hougarts 5th edition states Watson Honanie also used a conjoined WH but does not show an example.

Other examples attributed to Watson Honanie were found at medicine man gallery and art-amerindien, both linked below.

https://www.art-amerindien.com/hallmarks/w-american-indian-jewelry-marks.htm

https://www.medicinemangallery.com/native-american-art/indian-jewelry/identify-native-american-indian-jewelry-hallmarks/honanie-watson/watson-honanie-hopi-turquoise-and-silver-overlay-bracelet-c-1970s-size-7-5.html

Watson Honanie is still active and producing Jewelry. I sent him an email early this morning asking if this mark and cuff was his work. Will update if I get a response.

http://www.watsonhonaniejewelry.com/

4 Likes

Nice cuff, interesting, doesn’t look Hopi, but looks like a WH. Interesting piece! Hope he gets back with you, Steve.

Does kinda look like his work…although I can’t see it well.

1 Like

Reminds of this too…

1 Like

Thank you for the help.

1 Like

Sorry, posted wrong pic, these should be much better.

1 Like

This also looks like your mark.

2 Likes

Yes it certainly does, thank you.

1 Like

Do you think the background may have been blackened like Hopi silver overlay?

1 Like

Looking further, I don’t believe this is Watson Honanie’s mark. If you look at his items for sale in this Garland’s link (a very reputable store), he has a different hallmark. Watson Honanie – Garland's
Although hopefully he will answer Steve’s email. I still don’t think it looks right for Hopi work, and I am not aware of the black coming off of good Hopi pieces. This background in this cuff does not also appear to have the etching that’s in Hopi jewelry.

I have a book on Hopi work (with hallmarks), and his work occasionally does not have the black oxidation, but your cuff does not have any kind of hatch marks, which his does; yours almost looks like a granulated background (not sure that’s the best word).

1 Like

I agree with you that this is a Navajo piece of jewelry and I’m glad I bought it, it was all of the symbolism that attracted me to it, I wasn’t sure at first when I received it that I’d made a good purchase since I was more familiar with Hopi silver overlay. But after viewing Navajo videos on YouTube and trying to track down who might be the one who made it, I’m happy with my purchase. Still, I’m wondering if the background and the land/topography of this piece may have been blackened originally in the same way Hopi silver overlay is.

1 Like

Question for those more familiar with this type of work. Are textured backgrounds often blackened?
To me, blackening this cuff would detract from the beauty of it.

1 Like

Yes, often they are, like this …

But I’ve not seen one with this much textured background be darkened. And what can’t imagine, is that it would have been darkened with no trace of that darkening left.

1 Like

Agree. I have used Nickel Pickle and Silver Pickle and the process takes a lot to remove.

1 Like

Navajo pieces done in a Hopi style are often darkened in the background but I don’t think yours ever was. I think the very textured background is perfect in its own right. It gives enough contrast to make the design look good. Beautiful cuff.

3 Likes

IF the artist is Navajo Wilson Tsosie, some of his work I see online does not have the background darkened.

1 Like

My thoughts too especially considering the sun. The opposite would be this treasure named Celestial by Farron Naka 'waywisa that I bought from Shumakolowa in 2014. I haven’t found anything like this before or since, he stamped the year 2007 along with his hallmark, but they told me when I asked if they had any other pieces made by him that he left this existence for the next a year later. Although it looks blackened in the pics, under direct light it’s faded and I’m leery about having it redone by anyone other than experienced Native American artists. What few businesses that have websites, don’t put up what might be found, the “good stuff”, unless I made a trip through the southwest is my feeling. Any website suggestions would be appreciated.
CROPPED CELESTIAL CUFF 2
CELESTIAL SHUMAKOLOWA'S 2 2

Perry Null might be able to.
Jason from there runs this web page.

They are very good at repairs.

1 Like