Help id the hallmark and type of turquoise stone

HI THERE! I WAS LOOKING FOR ANY INFO RELATED TO THIS BOLO TIE THAT I JUST ACQUIRED, IS THE STONE LANDER BLUE? I HAVE HEARD ABOUT MCGEE’S INDIAN POST BUT I CAN’T FIND ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE HALLMARK. ANY HELP WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU! BEST REGARDS JOSE

12 Likes

Welcome to the forum, beautiful piece. I would call it a piece of Lander Blue, shows the classic characteristics of this valuable turquoise. I couldn’t find an exact match but maybe two names that might need to be explored a little more. These names are in Wright’s hallmark book. A Jim Trueba uses that style of smaller J with longer T, however in the book the center letter is a L. Hallmarks can change, plus he is Apache Junction in the book which would give him easy access to Scottsdale. The other name was a Johnson Todacheeny, the JT are joined but could not find any samples of his work. It notes in the book that he worked for White Hogan which was in Phoenix. Good luck and congratulations on owning such a nice piece.

3 Likes

Wow that’s very beautiful!

2 Likes

Great stone! Really outstanding color.

2 Likes

Wow, I was wondering. I was told to always look for the hard black outline around each blue spot, and that certainly has it!

3 Likes

FWIW here is a maker’s mark for Johnson Todacheeny while he was at White Hogan. It was a barrette of mine that went to a museum.

2 Likes

Thank you Jason for all the information, you’re awesome!!! Have a great day!!!

1 Like

Can you show the front of the barrette?
I’d love to see it

2 Likes

We wanna see the front or I am gonna stamp my feet’s and cry.

3 Likes

It’s pretty plain… would not stay in my hair for the life of me!

5 Likes

I think its lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

here is a good article on the Lander blue mine.

Its amazing to me how much Lander blue is still for sale on the internet when the mine only produced 110 lbs of the turquoise :rofl: One article I read not too long ago said that every lander stone produced was sold with a certificate of origin. But hey those things get lost or not passed on to the new buyer. What a wonderful piece. This does look like the good stuff. Kyle

4 Likes

Thanks for the article Kyle!!

Sure looks like lander blue to me

2 Likes

I wanted to use a brooch as a barrette & had the same trouble. The “pro” at a beauty supply came up a funny solution…toupe tape!
lol

2 Likes