Help identify this ring maker and subject?

Bought this amazing ring on a recent trip and was hoping the collectors here may have some ideas of who made it and where and what is the character it represents? Thank you!!

5 Likes

According to art-Amerindien the ring was made by Nelson Morton (Navajo).

2 Likes

5 Likes

Wow, he sounds amazing! Thank you so much for your help and knowledge! I really appreciate it and wish you amazing things for your help!

1 Like

I’m confused, Hougart’s 4th edition says that mark belongs to a Nelson Morton not Morgan! Here’s one I have by him, Nelson Morton! I know this hallmark is often confused with the similar hallmark of Nathan Morgan!

Is Hougart’s wrong? Can anyone with the 5th edition see if it’s still the same in the new book?

3 Likes

good catch! my bad

pulled that info on Nelson Morgan from Bishoff’s website and totally messed that one up

https://www.bischoffsgallery.com/online-store/nelson-morgan.htm

confirmed Nathan Morgan still in 5th edition

1 Like

@AC Out of curiosity, I just checked my 3rd edition of Hougart’s NA/SW hallmarks book. The hallmark on the original poster’s ring matches that of Nelson Morton, Navajo. IMO, his leaf pictograph is an important key identifier (especially since his initials hallmark is very similar in style to another Navajo artist.)

3 Likes

Welcome to the site…and thanks for posting your ring. Your post clarified a confusing hallmark. You’ll find lots of good information here!

1 Like