Help identifying and valuation of a large nugget

I recently won this nugget at an auction. It is 390 grams or 1950 carats in weight (approximately .86 pounds). Extremely hard with pyrite and quartz matrix. I believe it to be Morenci, but appreciate any comment on type and value. Jason if you read this, what do you think a reasonable price per carat would be. Thanks to all in advance. I have included inside and outside lighting and a picture with a dollar bill for a feel for the size.

4 Likes

I forget what the yield is per pound of rough, I am thinking it was something like 1500 carats. That depends on the rock, some can have a better yield and others more waste. It looks stabilized? I would lean more Kingman. Seeing that around $1.25 per carat, going with 1500 carats x .86 gives us maybe 1290 carats. If you break it down that way you are looking at $1612.50. Of course definitely a lot to do before you get there. We had some not as nice as this come through for $50 a pound, I would guess yours somewhere around $200 - $250.

I am hoping not stabilized, but very well could be. The 2 ends are lightly polished and the blue hue may lean towards stabilized. I will hopefully take a slice off soon and will see when polishing if it is impregnated with anything. If it was done with chemicals and electricity I don’t know how to tell except for color changes or more color around fractures.
I was hoping to be in isolation and getting to cut more, but am unfortunately considered essential and have had no time off. My wife and son on the other hand have had the cabbing machines to themselves. I paid more than that, but should get a fairly good yield, and some good size cabs. Looks like silver and gold colored pyrite, so hopefully some nice looking cabs. Thanks as always for your expertise, it is appreciated