Help identifying possible Lander Blue Cabachon

Hello! I posted my intro a few months ago and hit a crazy spot in my life. Not bad, just CRAZY, lol! I’m just now able to get back on here and reply etc. If I left ya hanging, I’m sorry and don’t take it personal. On to the topic of the day. I have had this turquoise cabachon since I was 5 years old. I only remember that because I missed kindergarten that day and went yard sale shopping with my grandparents. This would have been in 1992, so I’ve had this cab for 27 years myself! It was glued to a small board with other stones and the board was marked “Lander County NV”. I fell in love with the display and my grandpa bought it for me. I have no other background info. I kept the display for years and eventually removed the different stones and now I am left with only the prettiest one… the turquoise. I will admit I kind of forgot about this particular stone. It was locked in my oldest lockbox with one other large turquoise I pulled from a broken piece of jewelry about 8 years ago. I pulled these out today and started thinking, is this a piece of highly coveted Lander Blue turquoise? I had never really understood that this could be special. I don’t know if there is some way to tell for sure? My research shows a lot of similiar looking turquoise, but I’m no pro. This stone is quite beautiful and weighs 37 carats. I feel it could stand to be polished further by a lapidary, but it is a beautiful older stone as is. I appreciate any opinions on this stone. I like to ID the turquoise I use in my jewelry when possible and I’d love to work with some Lander Blue! I hope the pics are sufficient, I can take more if it would Help! I appreciate any opinions or further information.

Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

2 Likes

Had you not provided any background info, I would have confidently said this is Chinese turquoise.

1 Like

Its so hard to tell lol! I have no idea why someone would have put together this display and used chinese turquoise though? It had several “rock” specimens on it, this was the only turquoise. I believe my gpa got it for .50cents, so they obviously weren’t trying to add any value lol. If I hadnt seen the display personally, I would probably agree with you. I know most mines produce such a variety it’s almost impossible to say with certainty where they were mined, unless you mined it yourself lol. For example, I have several verified Kingman stones that look JUST like Bisbee stones. I am just hoping there is some tell tale characteristic that can ID this stone. Thanks for the input, its very much appreciated!

It might not be Chinese, turquoise mines can produce different looks. However, this doesn’t have the characteristics that collectors are paying $200 plus a carat for.

1 Like

I can fully appreciate that Jason, lol! In my research I saw the Lander Blue people are paying a real premium for… not in the same boat as this for sure. Heck, it was glued to a specimen board with a bunch of other stones. Still though, someone thought enough of this stone to cut it. Someone also thought enough of it to keep it as a “specimen”. In my eyes, the cab is definitely fit for a piece of jewelry, and if it came from the Lander mine it would just be cool to know! I will probably just make a piece around the stone as I usually do, and pass my story on. The buyer can take or leave it, I Just can’t prove this one. I’m pretty confident this was atleast mined in Lander County NV , though I’m not the one who collected it. I am guessing there are no traits absolutely specific to Lander Mine? I know the basics, but as said, most mines produce such a variety it’s really hard to tell. Again, thanks for the input!

possible Indian Mountain turquoise located in Lander County NV?

source: https://waddellgallery.com/pages/turquoise-materials

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it is lander blue niether. Not sure if you know this ,but back in the 90’s a lot of Chinese turquoise were used as lander blue in the states. This might be one of the less conviencing one.

Take a look at the picture below, would you say it is more lander blue?:face_with_hand_over_mouth: (it is in fact also a high quality Chinese turquoise)

1 Like

Not meaning to hijack this thread but the original posters question seems to have been answered. @wjuanxp I have this piece that I always assumed was Chinese. Can you provide any additional information on the turquoise? Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I think it is Hubei Turquoise indeed. it should be mined from Cloud temple area. Couldn’t tell the hardness from the picture but if it is all natural, it should be fairly hard. it is medium quality and very similar to the material in the picture below.

1 Like

It’d definitely NOT Lander Blue.