Help identifying possible maker and time period?

My grandfather has given me the task of trying to find out anything I can about some jewelry he says has been in the family for a long time. How long, he’s not sure - a lot happens in 86+ years. He says he’s taken it to an appraiser once long ago but other than being made of silver the guy knew nothing else.

There are no markings on any of the pieces and Google Lens is showing me similar pieces but nothing quite like it. I’ve gone down a rabbit hole and learned before the 1920s-ish many Native artists didn’t sign their work and also learned about Tommy and William Singer and how the crushed turquoise and coral were used by them but I question the authenticity of it being made by either of them because like mentioned, there are no visible hallmarks or anything and I don’t really believe it’s as older than the 1920s.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

5 Likes

Welcome to Turquoise People! A beautiful piece. Chip inlay is usually thought to have begun in the 1960s and became really popular in the 70s and 80s. I would imagine this piece fits that time frame. You have the Native American Church becoming very popular during the AIM movement here in the Four Corners during the 1970s, and that is when you see this symbolism becoming increasingly used in jewelry design.

7 Likes

I don’t remember when hallmarks became common, but I have a number of Native American jewelry items that have no hallmark, and were made way later than the 20’s. I do have a cuff that is not signed and was probably made by Tommy Singer, but I will never know 100%, so same will be with your piece (not that I think this a Singer item, don’t know).

Jason gave you great info on your necklace.

3 Likes