Help pricing this concho belt!

I’m helping my parents price out this concho belt. I believe it’s earlier than the 70’s. I don’t really know anything about belts (I can never afford them anyway lol). How would you describe this belt for selling purposes? What would you value it at?

5 Likes

The buckle is kinda unusual, I see the water bug kind of repousse but then the rest looks like butterfly wings and then corn stalks in the wings.

1 Like

I also see the water bug in the repoussé, but I have had 2 people tell me that this is 1970’s and I’m sure that it’s older than that!

1 Like

By no means an expert (or even really knowledgeable) but to me the buckle has a 1940’s or 1950’s look.

2 Likes

this style belt very closely resembles 2009B with turquoise and 2-1/2" long conchas

3 Likes

Bree doesn’t show the entire length of the buckle in her picture. Just the side is over 2 1/2” and 233+ grams isn’t super light. BigBree43 would you please remeasure because I think Steve might have found you answer. Steve how old was the ad? Thanks

2-1/2" is the length of the concha for style 2009B and 3" for the 2009. would guess the buckle is the same for both. total weight 233G shown on scale is including the leather.

source was a page scan from a Burnell’s catalog, Fred Harvey era.

2 Likes

Don’t mind me. I was looking at ancient prices and wanting her to have the higher of the two. An effect of too much prednisone for my bronchitis. I’m still thinking you have found her answer and that’s what matters. :100:

team effort, no harm no foul.

no mention of any marking on the backs so an XRF test should nail down the metal. sterling, coin or German silver could help with dating the work.

2 Likes

No markings! But it did test as silver. I would like to invest in an XRF machine though

1 Like

If it helps, $37.50 in 1940 would be approximately $689 in today’s dollars… :wink:

2 Likes

Wow Steve, thanks for posting that! Can you tell me where you found that pic?

1 Like

Oddly enough, that seems like a reasonable price for this belt too, don’t you think?

1 Like

Back earlier in the post he told me Burnell catalog FH era.

1 Like
5 Likes

YOU GUYS ROCK! Thank you!

1 Like