Help recognizing stone

Greetings
Wondering if anyone out there knows what this stone is? Is it turquoise? Artist is Peterson Johnson
Thanks so much!

4 Likes

It’s turquoise, I believe it’s green Chinese turquoise.

4 Likes

I wondered if it was Chinese but wouldn’t think Peterson would use Chinese turquoise

1 Like

I don’t know much about Chinese turquoise, but I’ve seen some examples on this forum that look like the top stone in particular.

1 Like

He does.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224127473291

3 Likes

I don’t know why he wouldn’t, a lot of Native artists use Chinese turquoise. It may not have quite the collectibility of the most famous US mines but it’s still good turquoise. There is some very high end Native jewelry that uses high grade Chinese turquoise. I have an Aaron Andersen pendant with Chinese turquoise that is very similar in appearance to yours; I can attach a picture when I get a chance.

4 Likes

Yes, please. I like his work. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There is some very nice Chinese turquoise!

1 Like

Tufa cast eagle/bird pendant by Aaron Anderson with Chinese turquoise

5 Likes

Well, that’s just stupid cool. What an artist! Did it come with the original tufa mold?

3 Likes

Sadly, no. I even asked about the tufa mold but they didn’t have it. Got this one from Perry Null a few years ago.

3 Likes

I love it! I mostly just buy stuff that I like without looking for particular artists, but I googled him after you posted his name, and I really like his work. So I will definitely have to keep an eye out for his pieces! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Aaron is one of the top tufa cast artists working today. Many of his one-of-a-kind pieces come with the original tufa mold like these at Ellis Tanner Trading Company: Link

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool, thanks. When I googled his work, I appreciated it that even though most of his jewelry is out of my price range (at least in this economy LOL), there were quite a few things that I could comfortably afford. Even though I don’t buy items online generally, I can keep his name in mind next time I’m shopping out west.

1 Like