Help w/ Zuni Style Inlay Necklace

Hi there everyone! New to the forum as I’m adding more Indigenous jewelry to my collection and hoping to make better informed purchases.

I’m looking to purchase this Zuni necklace but wondering if anyone can help ID the maker before I do. I have found similar pieces and pieces similarly marked, but no actual name. Also curious in potential value as the seller is asking a fair amount for it and I want to be sure of authenticity and real market value before spending too much. Thanks so much in advance!

1 Like

I am not sure who this is. I did find another one online. Your style is Zuni, but they both look suspect to me. Hopefully someone on here can put a name to the piece.

3 Likes

Suspect indeed, given the mishmash of style, lab-made materials, and eccentric metalwork.

I expect that a lot of imported stuff is sold with invented hallmarks, and/or attributed to Navajo-sounding names to disguise the origin.

3 Likes

This looks like block (synthetic plastic) to me. I suspect it’s an import.

1 Like

Definitely fake, likely an import. The glossy looking, domed inlay is a big clue. I agree that this is block (plastic), as opposed to real stones. The silver feathers are machine made and it would be really unusual for Zuni artists to incorporate machine cast pieces into their handmade work. The open silverwork would be very unusual for Zuni work but I suppose not impossible. The generic, two letter stamped initials are also a clue. It’s very hard to trace something to a real artist with just two letter and the fakers know that so they pick random letters that seem like they could be attributed to a real artist.

Are you on facebook? Bree, from this forum, has started a group called “Identifying FAKE Native American Jewelry” which is really helpful in learning to spot fakes. Bree’s done a great job with the group. There is also another group called “Zuni Jewelry Let the Buyer Beware” which focuses on Zuni fakes and is also very helpful. I would definitely recommend checking out these resources if you’re looking to make more informed purchases.

4 Likes

So glad I found this forum and for everyone’s input! I’m familiar with various types of vintage jewelry but am very new to Native American and First Nations jewelry so everyone’s info has given me so much more to look into. I was definitely wary of the colour on some of the materials as they WERE being advertised as semi precious gemstones, so having that reaffirmed is awesome. As for the detailed info on the silver work, and what is stylistically appropriate, I couldn’t be more grateful! I was truly unaware of how prevalent these copies are. I’ll definitely pass on it then. Don’t want a knock off!

2 Likes