Help with ID or info on some loose stones, please!

These are crap pics, i apologize. Origins of these are that we found them in my FIL’s basement glued to a piece of parchment or wax paper, inside a long narrow old chocolates box, in 1997. We had them ~20 years before i recently bothered to try to get them unstuck from the wax paper. Still working on getting the adhesive off - looks like old dried mucilage, rubbing each piece with diluted dish soap and a paper towel. none of these are backed. My estimation is they had been in FIL’s possession 20 years or more. the blue-ish stones look stabilized to me, but they are hard and glassy. the green/brown ones are really more interesting to me, even though i usually prefer true blues. Wondering if they are persian or chinese. it seems odd to me that these are all in such uniform shapes and sizes. i dont’ have a lot of experience dealing with unset turquoise cabs. worthless?

I appreciate your wisdom and time!

5 Likes

I would call these stones American. Almost a Fox look and Royston Turquoise. They have a good look, appear to be stabilized.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was debating if it was worth finding someone to setting some of it into a few pieces of jewelry, or just sell the lot. I have quite a bit of it. Do you think I’d have any luck trying to barter the parcel for a couple of finished pieces?

2 Likes

In this business bartering seems to be common place.

2 Likes

Wow! What a lovely find. If you do decide to sell any of them individually, I’d be interested in buying.

2 Likes

I’m definitely considering it. Will need to get a gram weight, and try to sort it out a little better. Also need to check with hubs to make sure he’s ready to let go of some of this, since it was his dad’s. Thanks!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Just let me know if you do end up selling. I’ll definitely understand if your husband isn’t ready to part with any.

2 Likes

I have finally gotten these cleaned up and sorted by similar color and matrix. My eyes are a little blurry from staring at them. I’m going to try to get them weighed tomorrow. Is there a particular thing you are more interested in, from my original crummy pics?? We have held back our keepers and are ready to start thinking about pricing the rest for sale.

2 Likes

I’d like to know as well. Particularly the green and brown but possibly other too. Thanks

1 Like

Well, here we go. I have them sorted into similar piles and weighed, although the scale I had access to only provided gram weights in whole numbers, not decimals. I have no idea what the carat values would be. If anyone is interested, let me know. I think these are 5ct to the gram?

Pics are L to R: on the scale, indoor light, outdoor light. I can provide more photos if anyone is interested.

2 grams, deep teal green with dark brown matrix, 17 stones total

6 grams, olive green with brown matrix, 8 stones total

2 grams, med blue with chocolate matrix, 5 stones total. Might make a nice cluster ring.

5 grams, vivid peacock teal ovals, 8 stones total

2 grams, 3 gorgeous minty blue rectangles with golden brown matrix, 3 stones total. Having a hard time parting with this one. Bracelet?

13 grams, greens wih lighter color matrix, 16 stones total.

12 grams, light minty green with chocolate matrx, 65 stones total, some tiny snake eyes. Love this color set.

42 grams, greens with brown matrix, lots of snake eyes, mixed shapes, approx 240 stones total.

39 grams, teal blue with not much matrix, some look water webby, lots of snake eyes, approx 90 stones total.

2 Likes

I especially like 2) and 6). What are you asking for them?

1 Like

I am interested as well once your done with pricing on any of the lots…thank you in advance! I am also silversmith so I’m definitely interested in a barter if you are…:sunglasses:

I don’t have a sense of value at this point. I guess I’m relying on the community to help me with per carat value. #trustworthy

1 Like

Thanks!! I am def interested in a barter. I kept back a few pieces I love, may be to set one day. Right now trying to figure out a value on what I have so i can get them moving.

1 Like

Thanks 4 posting the batches! I’m still watching this convo but can’t help with valuation, maybe someone else can?