Help with mark on reverse intaglios

My daughters friend sent me these pictures of a pendant and ring, trying to figure out the mark. She was told they were German and the material that’s engraved is amber when purchased in Reno NV. Don’t have it in hand so any help or info would be appreciated. both have the same marking 925 etc. The mark looks familiar but can’t for the life of me remember and not sure if Native Americans did this kind of work!

h1
h2
h5
h8

How very interesting, thanks for sharing here. Cannot help on this specific hallmark, but there are online charts of European hallmarks and that’s where I’d start.
I would think it is the so-called Baltic amber mostly produced in Poland, where there’s an unimaginable amount of “amber” jewelry sold. I mean it’s called amber but is generally a composite of resin with amber. This wouldn’t be SW Native American.

Examples online like yours can be readily found, esp. on Etsy, in a range of price depending on size, quality, and retailer.

1 Like

Agree with Chicfarmer. This is European, and likely lost wax cast from an at least partially hand made master.

Twist wire borders along with European (Spanish) silversmithing techniques are not native to the US and were adopted by Native American silvermsmiths fairly recently (Mid to late 1800s).

These types of settings have been around as long as metalsmiths have been working in Jewelry, and predate even Roman times.

Thanks a bunch for all the great info, the search will continue! :slightly_smiling_face: