Help with Zuni Hallmark

Thank you. I have not had luck with this ring purchased in the late 70’s. Looks like EXXU.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. That etched TT stands for Tobe Turpen Trading. They made jewelry in house during this time, the scratched marking are $8.85 for the cost. Persian Turquoise could be made by handful of smiths that worked in the shop, Mary Morgan, Marie Silver, Mary Dayea, Junior Dubouise, Charlie Grey, Sadie Calvin.

6 Likes

And Jason should know his stuff about Turpen Tobe Trading. :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Jason. Love the history

I was randomly looking through old posts, and saw the name Marie Silver here in the list of artists that worked for Tobe Turpen. I have a ring that I believe is by her (hallmarked M SILVER) That I bought at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market many years ago when Tobe Turpen’s would send someone with small crates of pawn to sell. My question is, if it doesn’t have the TT along with the hallmark does that mean she didn’t make the ring for the store?

I can post a pic later when I have a chance, but wanted to comment now (still have the pawn ticket also), because I might not find this thread again.

2 Likes

Adding pics of the ring.

I can’t get a great pic of the hallmark, M SILVER.

My question is for Jason: without the TT, does that mean she didn’t make it specifically for Tobe Turpen’s?

This stone is also a good example of turquoise that COMPLETELY changed color within a few years after I bought it. It was originally a very pale blue; so much so that when I wore it early on people would ask me if it was Dry Creek. It also appears to be losing the black in the pits of the matrix. So I’m assuming this is one that had the matrix darkened.

2 Likes