Hi can anyone help me with this Sleeping Beauty Turquoise

Hi everyone I’m new here. I’ve been a lurker for a short while but I finally signed up!

I’m thinking about purchasing this turquoise ring, represented as SB turquoise that’s totally untreated and not stabilised. The seller is the cutter of the stone too (according to him). In your experienced opinions is there anything from these pictures to doubt those claims? Thank you!

2 Likes

That flash on the stone makes it look like glass. Do you have any pictures without the flash?

2 Likes

These are from the vendor so I can’t get anymore pictures unfortunately. The vendor cut and polished the stone so assures it’s 100% natural.

I’m pretty certain it won’t be glass as he’s been selling for a number of years and it’s probably not worth ruining your business for pulling a stunt like that! It’s set in solid 14k gold.

1 Like

I am drawing a blank, but what is SB?

1 Like

Oh duh. Sleeping beauty.

2 Likes

I see a bit of matrix in the stone, so I wouldn’t guess glass, but can’t say it’s not stabilized.

1 Like

It is always difficult to determine, the cutter would definitely know. Found an image of what I think natural Sleeping Beauty looks like.

1 Like

@Jason, I don’t know as much about Sleeping Beauty (being that I prefer matrix in stones). When it has matrix is it usually white or black, or either?

2 Likes

I would like to just trust the seller as he’s also the one that cut and polished the stone, so unless he’s specifically lying… it should be as stated!

However always best to do your due diligence so I really appreciate everyone’s educated opinions on here.

The ring stone seems to have the semi translucency I’ve seen in examples of Zachery treated stones… if that gives anyone more experienced then me any ideas?

2 Likes

I’ve seen online examples of both colour matrix.

2 Likes

What a beautiful ring!!!.
The yellow gold is gorgeous with the blue.

2 Likes

I have some Sleeping Beauty and i trust the chain of custody. Their is a small amount of matix but my stones are small. Curious about 2 things, one, why set unstabilized Turquoise in a ring and 2, did you chose the gold?

2 Likes

Just my opinion but if I were paying for a gold ring I would expect top grade turquoise. I believe that there was gem quality Sleeping Beauty that didn’t need to stabilized.

2 Likes

Yes same. The fact the seller is the cutter and maker of the ring, and the fact he set it in gold, the fact he’s been in business for over two decades etc etc does point to the fact he’s not lying or mistaken. I just wanted to “confirm” with some pictures and experienced eyes to see if there was anything in the pictures that screamed something either way.

@Meandmy6 nice pic! Unstabalised turquoise can mean two things. It’s low quality and should have been stabilised but it wasn’t, or it’s high quality and didn’t need stabilisation. Whenever I say unstabalised I’m talking about the high quality stuff - it doesn’t need it.

1 Like