Hi from the UK

Hi
I am from the UK, in the North West of England. Manchester is the nearest City to where we live. Me and my husband have visited the US quite a few times in the last 10 years. My favourite place has to be Monument Valley, we stayed in the cabins overlooking the buttes, and did a 3hr sunset tour of mystery valley which was amazing.
We did a road trip one year round the National parks and stayed in Torrey overnight. I bought a ring in an antique shop there, and wondered if anyone could give me any information on it. I think I have asked the question once before, when I tried using the site and didn’t know how to use it properly, So uninstalled the app and started again from scratch. The ring was a turquoise colour, but has now gone more of a green shade, I was told it was probably caused by using hand creams etc, if I had known I would have been more careful when wearing it. It would be nice to know maybe the maker, what area it was from, any info really.
Thanks

3 Likes

Hi

I’m in the UK! I’m in Essex! I collect and sell Native American jewellery - I’m only slightly obsessed with Turquoise too. Turquoise stones change colour with use and particularly don’t like creams, perfumes or cleaning products so it’s best to take any jewellery off first. Your ring is lovely and has the maker’s mark ‘F’ which, according to Wright’s Hallmarks of the Southwest, is Fannie Platero’s mark who is Navajo. I hope that helps.

Michelle xx

1 Like

Hi
That’s great. :grin: I love the jewellery. Iam also interested in anything native American, I have a Rug hung on my wall only a small one, but it’s genuine from the Hubbell Trading Post and some of the pottery.
Do you sell your jewellery on an online shop.
Thanks for the info on the ring that’s really good to know. I just wish I had known about the stones changing colour with creams etc. Its a good excuse to go back again and buy some more.
Christine x

1 Like

Turquoise is a water soluble mineral, so it absorbs, if not stabilized. " Turquoise is an opaque, blue-to-green mineral that is a hydrated phosphate of copper and aluminium, with the chemical formula CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)" A gem grade stone will have a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale. A diamond is a 10.

That said, with turquoise from Nevada coming in various shades of blue, blue-green, and green. Some of this unusually-coloured turquoise may contain significant zinc and iron, which is the cause of the beautiful bright green to yellow-green shades. Some of the green to green-yellow shades may actually be variscite or faustite,

Chemists made the determination and officially split the types of rocks in 1954, however most are just termed turquoise. Here is one of several links discussing turquoise. www.horsekeeping.com/jewelry/stones. Enjoy!

Really nice ring.

2 Likes

Hi karne
Thanks for all the info, really interesting, wish I had known all this before. I never realised it would change colour. If I buy anymore rings I will be careful not to get any creams etc on them. I still love the ring and design, but did like the pale blue it was before, especially as my birthstone is turquoise.
Christine

1 Like

I actually don’t mind the color change to green, which can happen just from the natural oils on your hands too.

1 Like

Hi,
Yes I still love the ring and don’t mind the colour either. Didn’t realise the oil from your hands can change the colour aswell, there isn’t a lot you can do to stop that then.
Thanks

1 Like

Sorry I’ve only just seen your reply - nasty cold laid me out :weary::roll_eyes: I sell on Etsy - we had a family trip to California in June - I fell in love with Yosemite and want to desperately go back - would live there if we could! I was hoping to bring back a fair bit of jewellery while I was there but it’s very pricey - I understand now why 80% of my sales are to the US :joy: X

Oh dear :sneezing_face:nasty.
We haven’t been to yosemite, would love to go sometime. Monument Valley is brill if you haven’t been, we stayed in the cabins overlooking the buttes, and went on a tour with amazing scenery. The only part of California we have done was Santa Monica at the end of route 66.
We noticed as well that a lot of the jewellery was mega expensive!

1 Like

Monument Valley def on my list - we started in San Francisco then headed to Yosemite, Sequoia National Park, Monterey, Santa Barbara then LA - but I’m a country girl so I’m glad we did the cities but don’t need to do them again - everywhere else was amazing - got to do another State now :grin: x

David Hockney has created a series of ipad drawings of Yosemite. They are or will be shortly on exhibit at the Heard Museum, Phoenix, AZ with Paiute baskets. best of both worlds

2 Likes

Yes I’m more of a country girl, prefer the old wild West type towns. Done a road trip round the national parks including zion, bryce, arches and canyonlands they were amazing. Also enjoyed Santa fe and the old town of Albuquerque. We would love to go back, but it won’t be next year, maybe the year after.

Thanks I’ll have a look online xx