Hopi belt buckle mystery

Hello all, another inherited piece I’m trying to unravel! I have this Hopi buckle of my dad’s, and I see other examples online that look identical but have different hallmarks…one mystery :wink: also trying to ID the hallmark on mine.

One site described an identical buckle as an early example of Hopi work, not sure why? (And they are asking $450). First photos are mine followed by screenshots of others.

As always, input appreciated greatly!

2 Likes

Gosh, I feel like I’ve seen that mark before. Let me look at my Hopi hallmark book and see if I see it. Beautiful buckle! I love Hopi work (boy my voice texting screwed that up, good thing I always check :laughing:).

I’m always really cautious of what sites online say unless they’re reputable stores. eBay and Etsy say anything and everything.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find it in my book, but my edition is from '95, so it’s not going to have anything recent. I found this hallmark (which is what I believe is the one I was thinking of) on the Amerindian site (this site does have errors, so compare it with other works by this artist online). Maybe the artist is younger and started working since my addition was published; there are other artists with that last name in my book.

I’ve also mentioned before on here that you could try calling the Hopi Cultural Center on Second Mesa in AZ, and see if they can help.

1 Like

Thanks! My dad acquired some nice things.
Yeah, that particular description was at Steve Elmore Indian Art in Santa Fe :wink:

2 Likes

And that’s probably a good site. Not that that answers your questions! I couldn’t tell what it was from. I’m just horrified at some of the stuff I see on eBay and etsy.

1 Like

I agree! I’m trying to be very careful with my descriptions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s a great thread on here somewhere about the silliness we’ve seen online. I’ve got to try to find it and give you the link. It’s great for a laugh.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more insight on your beautiful buckle.

Edit: here it is…Which part of “Native America” does this whatchamacallit hail from?

4 Likes

Thanks for the link to that – I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of the many online listings I’ve seen for “Navajo” butterfly pins that have TAXCO and MEXICO clearly stamped on the back :laughing:

2 Likes