HOPI Hallmark?

I just got this bracelet in. I have seen these before, mostly from Navajo silversmiths. The underside is just screaming Hopi to me though! Kinda Loloma-Esq… The rabbit tracks are close to an identified silversmith, but not quite right.
I would love to know if anyone recognizes the hallmarks. I am not sure what the value would be, but I didn’t pay much at all. Thoughts?

4 Likes

So I have a book that has pages of Hopi hallmarks in the back. I couldn’t find anything that looked just like what’s on the back of this cuff. My book was published in 1998, so obviously it has nothing very recent in it. But I snapped a picture of the page that had animal tracks that were a little bit like it.

I couldn’t figure out what the letters were next to the sterling stamp. They do look similar in style to some of the Hopi hallmarks in my book, but not the same. I’m wondering if it could be one of the other Pueblo tribes. I’ve seen some Laguna signatures somewhere that looked a little like that, however I don’t have any books with those hallmarks. I have a cuff from a Santa Domingo Native American, and the inside of the cuff reminds me of what you have. But his Hallmark is completely different.

1 Like

I’m thinking the hallmark includes the Hopi Enterprises/Hopicrafts stamp. So that gives a guideline on period of creation.

1 Like

Thanks! I have that book as well and while there are close ones…nothing that I can put a finger on.

2 Likes

Thanks! I have that book as well and while there are close ones…nothing that I can put a finger on. I see the resemblance to the Hopicrafts mark but the A puts it off.

2 Likes

Sorry, when I read back, I saw that you had already looked at rabbit hallmarks. I mostly do this on my phone, and it won’t let me scroll back and forth easily.

The cuff really reminds me of some Santa Domingo cuffs I’ve seen. But I couldn’t find anything with a quick search.

I like the cuff!

1 Like

Just a thought that it could be a combo hallmark: part artist’s personal hallmark paired with Hopicrafts. Some shop pieces do get stamped that way.

2 Likes

I found the answer!

Alois Wagner
Kewa

4 Likes

Kewa - used to be Santa Domingo…thought it might be! Thanks for the update.

And just what wonderful resource gave up the answer, pray tell???

What is the gold colored inlay made of?

K, here is one of those really weird coincidences. I had read this article several months ago (but forgot about it) before I’d even joined this site, because it came up in my Google feed. After @Christibo found out the artist, I was googling Alois Wagner out of curiosity, and this article came up again. One of her cuffs is featured, and even weirder, the ring they mentioned they bought was by an artist that I have bought a couple rings from at the Native art market at the western art museum in Indianapolis (I hadn’t noticed that in the last read through). So weird.

1 Like

Trusted resource for me.

1 Like

They are glass seed beads in an epoxy

1 Like