Hopi SilverCrafts Guild

The hopicraft guild hallmarks at this site… Indian Native American jewelry marks
do not show any sun faces like my picture of Douglas Holmes hallmark. I have seen that sun face on other Hopi jewelry. Is the 8 Ray sun face a Hopicraft hallmark guild? And if so…what years does it belong to? Also wondering if anyone knows the hallmark of the first picture? Much thanks.

2 Likes

a picture of the front may help with tracking down the artist

2 Likes

I looked in my Hopi Silversmithing and Hallmarks book and had no luck with the second one; not really sure what that is, maybe some type of Kachina?

I found the butterfly symbol but couldn’t find that sun symbol. It doesn’t appear to be one of the guild marks. But my book is not the most recent edition.

In the top photo I attached that long line of suns are the guild marks.

Edit: Maybe your sun hallmark is the first on the left in the line, but the middle of yours is worn off? Didn’t notice that at first.

3 Likes

source:

4 Likes

Can we see the fronts of both? Also just cause we like to :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you Steve. That was very helpful. I did not know there were six types of sun face guild hallmarks. Does anyone know what years the 8 Ray sunface was used? Here is a picture of the front of the pin. I do not have a Douglas Holmes piece…unfortunately……but I am getting something in the mail soon that has an 8 sided sunface guild mark and some other mark. I may need help identifying it and will post a picture once I get it.

2 Likes

Thanks. I like your book on the top. What is the name of the book on the top? From your book…it looks like there are 7 Hopi guild hallmark sun faces.

1 Like

Both photos are from the same book. I bought it back in the late 90’s, so I’m sure you could find a much more updated edition. I had bought quite a bit of Hopi jewelry and wanted to know more about it.

Beautiful pin!

One more question; does the black in your pin have etch marks? I can’t tell.

When I posted the first pics this am, I didn’t have time to check deeper in the book about the guild hallmarks. Here’s some more about the them on another page. It says the marks in the line are individual and no two are alike, and that these are just a few listed here.

No etch marks on this pin. Very interesting to know that each smith has their own guild stamp. I’ll post my cuff when it comes. It has the 8 Ray sunface. I will check out that book on eBay. Thanks Zia.

1 Like

Okay, so I’m thinking it may not be Hopi. I tried googling Kachina style hallmarks (or something in that vein), and couldn’t find anything. The Amerindian site has it listed as unknown, as Steve posted above. I really feel as though I’ve seen that mark before. Not in person, but like it’s been discussed on this site previously. But I had no luck finding it here with a quick search.

1 Like

My cuff came in. I cannot find the hallmark although it has the Hopi Silvercraft Guild Hallmark. Can you find it in your book?

2 Likes

Gosh, I can’t find that one in there either, sorry! But I can’t figure out quite what it is since it’s so worn. Also, I’m confused a bit, because it looks like that cuff doesn’t have etching either. But that does look similar to a Hopi guild mark. I’ve hardly seen any Hopi jewelry that doesn’t have etching in the black, but I’ve learned on here that there is some out there. I’m wondering if you called the Hopi Cultural Center gift shop they might be able to help you on this one. I would think Hopi work, if that’s what it is, in overlay without the etching might be more familiar to them since it’s not common? Or maybe your piece has etching and I just can’t see it?

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few overlays without etching. I’m wondering if the ones without etchings were from an earlier period? Like this one

I may try the Hopi cultural center. Thanks for that advice.

2 Likes

Do you have any idea what you think that symbol might be? Maybe I just couldn’t find it cuz I couldn’t tell what it was.

The Cultural Center helped me once with a ring I couldn’t figure out. But after that I bought the book, and everything I’ve got I’ve been able to find in there.

Whatever, I like it!

1 Like