I found this beautiful stone pendant

5 Likes

Interesting. Because of the purple color I never thought of this.

Thanks @Steve . I did some research on this Mohave black copper turquoise. Seems like it’s an “assembled” product. Lovicraft has a great YouTube video on how to make it.

Looks like it’s a polymer clay, copper mica dust, and gold foil mixed and kneaded together, rolled out, cut into “cabs” with a cookie cutter form, baked, and coated with a clear resin.

If there is a natural form of this material, please let me know.

2 Likes

Interesting that an artist of his caliber would have used a man made stone.
I am not totally convinced.

1 Like

Alvin Joe is a name found on wholesale sellers’ medium to low-tier stone jewelry items, so it’s plausible to me that might have used what @Steve found. In a quick browse I found pendants in composited apple coral (with resin), white buffalo, etc.

I continue to wonder if some of these names are made up people. I know it does happen in the industry. Interestingly, Hougart doesn’t include the name.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I found some high quality jewelry and a bio for Alvin Jay, Navajo artist.

2 Likes

this AJ stamp does not match what Garlands shows on a $500 Al Joe cuff

https://www.shopgarlands.com/collections/al-joe/products/2a5040

1 Like

Al Joe, a known Navajo smith, is not “Alvin” Joe, btw.

2 Likes

It is not color changing. The navy blue and deep purple may have been reflections of light or background.
It was polished nicely and the gold highlights sparkled as well. . The first 2 pictures I posted on oct 22, the one showing the hallmark and the one showing all black (10/22/2023 at 15:35 is exactly how it looks as I am wearing it today.

Thanks so much. . I “google imaged” searched and got the exact signature, so I thought it was correct. I will not trust this sight again. (see below sight that had bad info) Dang! I tried to share the bad sight with you to warn others, but it did not show.It claims to be a Native American Marks.
Aj Hallmark for Alvin Joe Navajo
Alvin Joe
Navajo

1 Like

Thank you for doing this. There are many fake marks out there that copy reputable ones.

1 Like

Yes indeed. The lengths fraudulent companies go to is mindblowing. Thanks Steve, chicfarmer, Stracci chicfarmer etc. The many sites these people created to back up their scam is amazing. They even have a Facebook site under Alvin Joe to sell turquoise jewelry, the reference desk at the library found that one. Rock collectors, they even have a company said to be in CA that will sell you rock specimens. I spent a combined total of $60, but got a very valuable lesson. Internet sources can be faked. The one true experience out of this whole thing is what a great source all of you in the Forum are. And my husband is still my real gem. We will have this story to tell and laugh about for years. We leave you knowing today we are a little wiser than yesterday.

3 Likes

It is a good story. Especially the part about the love from your husband :blush: it’s a pretty keep sake.

1 Like

After I signed off, I realized that some people might not understand
why I would laugh about it. To anyone I might have offended I apologize. It was my mistake that is funny to me. We learn a little more and move on in life, trying not to repeat mistakes. I have so much to learn.
Counterfeiting is a crime and hurts the NA Artists. This piece is now removed from that market and is going into my costume jewelry box.

3 Likes

I use the Amerindien site with caution; it has been helpful to me at times. I just try to back it up with other info, because it does have some errors. A lot of the info on there is correct.

2 Likes

I happen to like blue “goldstone” (not the brown) & “dragon’s breath” though they’re both glass. :wink:

1 Like

@Ziacat, this probably should be its own thread, but I’ve wondered what other resources people use these days. I haven’t managed yet to get a copy of one of Hougart’s books; print copies of the 5th edition of his Native American and Southwestern Silver Hallmarks is available on the Bille Hougart website but they do not currently ship internationally (and the cost of secondhand copies is astronomical). So while I know the Amerindien site has errors, it’s the only place I can look up marks at the moment.

This thread might help. Books on Southwest Indian Jewelry?

The only book I have with hallmarks is a Hopi Silversmithing book. There are some other sites online with hallmarks, but they don’t have quite as many. Here’s one…https://www.medicinemangallery.com/native-american-art/indian-jewelry/identify-native-american-indian-jewelry-hallmarks

Once I think I find a match, then I look online at reputable sites/stores (I definitely don’t rely on Etsy and eBay) to see if my piece looks like other items by that artist. And of course I ask on here!

You might also check bookstores in the Southwest, maybe even some of the National Park bookstores. I’ve gotten some books at parks. Maybe check the site for Mesa Verde National Park, Chaco National Historic Park, or Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Park (I got a couple good books there). Or museum websites (the Heard in Phoenix, the Eiteljorg Western Art museum in Indy, etc).

2 Likes

Yes, Newpawn, I still like the necklace I bought. In fact I am wearing it now. It has it’s value as costume jewelry. I just will not refer to as NA.
I do not use Etsy, etc. I do not have the knowledge of Ziacat or many of you. I believe I found the Hallmark on Amerindien site, as Ziacat mentioned. Ziacat gives excellent advice regarding cross referencing sources and I totally agree. I then expanded my search to “black stone with gold flakes” … It stood to reason if this was NA there should be other examples that might identify the stone, maker. There were not. There was a reference to “black turquoise”, is there such a thing?
There was also a 9 minute video on another site about identifying rocks, claiming this was actually what gold was.Black rocks with streaks of gold to be mined, not gold nuggets.
And the 3rd source I found, a company in CA would sell you a specimen of this rock.
I never actually found an example of NA using this rock. So I went to the library, that’s why I told Stracci I had some ideas, but had to get back to her. I had thought they could help me find geologist info out west that could help with rock identification, but all she could find was the State of CT Geology Dept.
The seller I bought from, was not the scammer. Her Mom went to a nursing home and she was holding the tag sale prior to the house going on the market.
While I stopped believing long ago that gemstones did not come out of a mine fully cut and faceted like
in Snow White and the 7 Dwarves , I am still a beginner with NA jewelry. If you to are a beginner, TPF are very patient and willing to help. They also have some beautiful pieces to sell, and I understand they repair too. Enjoy the Forum.

@Ziacat, a belated but heartfelt Thank You for referring me to the books thread, and also for your many suggestions for finding other reference sources. I really appreciate it and will certainly look into them!

1 Like