I need help identifying 2 cuffs

I have 2 cuffs, approx 71g each of silver. My grandmother’s jewelry. She died in the late 50’s from a long illness. They could be very old.
I would appreciate any help you can give me as to age, style, who made them, and what they might be worth.

Hi Amy,
Can you post some pics of them?
The Front to show them & the Back helps with hallmarks!

I’ve been trying… I’m not very good at this. Here’s the one with a mark. Sending second cuff separately.

I think I found some info for you… the shape of that mark, even turned sideways, is pretty distinctive!
Hope this helps:

Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild
Organized in 1941 in Ft. Wingate, New Mexico, and started as a co-op in Pine Springs, Arizona, in 1942, the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild is wholly owned by the Navajo Nation and has been creating jewelry, arts, and crafts for over 70 years.

According to Bille Hougart in “Native American and Southwestern Silver Hallmarks”, “Ambrose Roanhorse, Chester Yellowhair and Fred Peshlaki helped form the Guild to provide a base from which students graduating from the silversmith classes at the Indian Schools could practice their newly acquired skills in the marketplace.” In the 1970s, the guild became the Navajo Arts and Crafts Enterprise. Today, there are guild stores across Arizona and New Mexico.

In the 1944 book, “The Navajo and Pueblo Silversmiths”, John Adair writes, “The type of silverware that the guild promotes is […] a revival of the old simple types of jewelry, without sets for the most part. Emphasis is placed on cast work. The guild also handles vegetable-dyed rugs and some aniline-dyed rugs of similar pattern and excellent workmanship.”

The Horned Moon is the guild’s registered trademark, and since 1955 it has encouraged members to stamp their work with its hallmark.

They are also on Facebook:

1 Like

Thank you for looking this up for me. After posting my request here, I received an offer from my ad which has been up on Facebook Marketplace for awhile. I know I will be selling these 2 bracelets and a necklace for less than they are worth, and although I haven’t been paid for them yet, I will follow through. The person is a collector in Oklahoma, so I hope they will be appreciated in his care and not just melted down for the silver weight. I will pass this on to him when I ship everything. I have always been fascinated by Indian stories and history. Unfortunately, these are not that comfortable to wear and my children were not very interested in having them for history’s sake.