I need help with type of turquoise this is?

I have been working really hard trying to learn the various distinguishing factors between the mines so that I can list my Native American jewelry as accurately as possible-I have purchased lots of books-the problem is they seem to start to look alike with the different opinions and pics in all these books so now I am somewhat confused-I got a piece of jewelry that I think is Morenci, Bisbee or Kingman-or something other than those 3???I am asking for opinions Which do you think it is? It is truly the prettiest color and shines almost as if it is Silver!
Thanks in advance-yes it is for sale!
Also it is marked on the back-anyone know anything about the markings?? It has a 925 mark as well along the edge of the eagle wing in back and I tested ALL parts-STERLING POSITIVE!

Cindy

2 Likes

ok so after research and advice from others it is Morenci Turquoise-now @AC wheres that book you have? does it have anything on a Jeff Blalock dated 2000?

1 Like

I find no mention of a Jeff Blalock in any of my books or on the internet for that matter where jewelry is concerned.

1 Like

There are many anglo jewelry makers who make Southwest style jewelry. I wonder if that is the case here.

2 Likes

Though this could be morenci, there are other mines that have pyrite inclusions so be sure to compare color as well as matrix.

1 Like

Yup I was told by a professional it was Morenci, I had it narrowed to 3 but because of color he says morenci…I have a book coming that will hopefully help me more in distinguishing the differences etc

2 Likes

Jeff Blalock has passed recently. He made everything himself. He used the very best stones of the category he was using. I have a tiger iron piece dated 2016 given to me from someone that knew him personally. The piece in question here would easily have been $1000. Kingman turquoise can contain the rarest matrix of silver veining, again, the stamp of a blalock piece. The finest stone of its category. He was not First Nation. I hope this helps. That’s a beautiful piece.

4 Likes

Good info on the artist. Yes Kingman Ithaca Peak is lovely and has pyrite but the blue in this makes me think Morenci.

1 Like

I was wondering about Ithaca Peak; it can look really blue also…

I see this item was originally posted way back in 2020. I hope the OP understood that you can’t ever definitively say what mine a piece of turquoise is from unless you have provenance.

3 Likes