I think this is southwest style?is the stone real?

Would love to have expert take a look at this piece, is it real and what kind of turquoise? t

That’s a pretty bracelet. Just curious - in the 2nd photo it looks like there’s marking on the inside of the bracelet. Is the bracelet stamped 925 or sterling? Any signature or initials? The turquoise looks real to me, but I’m not an expert.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure on whether the stone is genuine or not, if so, I’d say it’s Chinese turquoise. Looks like it is stamped sterling. Any other marks?

3 Likes

Thanks for respond, yes, it says sterling, no other marks

So Chinese turquoise means it’s real or has been treated?

I agree with @Ziacat that it’s likely Chinese turquoise. It’s a very pretty Southwestern style contemporary bracelet.

3 Likes

No, Chinese turquoise is turquoise that comes from a mine in China. There are many mines in China, which I don’t know any details about, so I couldn’t say which one. It just has that look to me.

3 Likes

Turquoise can be treated/stabilized and be real. Natural turquoise means untreated. So if we say something is genuine or real turquoise, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been stabilized. If you use the term natural turquoise that means it has not been stabilized/treated.

6 Likes

Do you think this is natural turquoise? And what kind? It’s a mystery to me

2 Likes

I am not good at telling whether something is natural or treated. But most turquoise is stabilized; that is not necessarily a bad thing. I have both stabilized and natural stones in different pieces of jewelry. Good natural turquoise is much more expensive. Stabilization simply means it’s been subjected to a hardening process, so that it won’t break or lose color. Natural turquoise will often change color from from coming in contact with oils from our skin, or other substances. Here’s a good link describing what stabilization is. What is the difference between stabilized and natural turquoise?

I don’t know what mine the stone is from. It reminds me of some Number 8 I’ve seen online, except it’s so light colored, and Number 8 is less common.

3 Likes

Thanks for information! I have an old brooch has a turquoise on it I see the color changed darker…and again, no idea what kind of turquoise it is🤣

2 Likes

Beautiful spiderwebbed turquoise and a nice piece of coral. It looks like a vintage piece from the 60-70’s time period so it might well be #8 as Ziacat mentioned. If so it’s got good value. If you run your finger or fingernail over the stone you will feel the matrix on natural turquoise. Looking at it through a loupe will also let you see these details.
Your pendant below is a great piece with shaped turquoise but I don’t know from where. :blush:

5 Likes

Thank you for take time respond! I like unique pieces so I got a lot mystery jewlery😅 it looks interesting under loupe, now I loupe every piece😄

4 Likes

Well said. It helps to have this repeated when someone new joins the forum. I needed to hear it for reinforcement of my understanding. And thanks to all of you who have explained it before.

5 Likes