I was given this unhallmarked ring by a friend who found it whilst metal detecting in the southwest (I think it was Arizona I can check). . Have you any ideas ?

7 Likes

I found a long lost brother might, be from the same mother.
art deco Navajoā€¦no words

6 Likes

How cool! Thatā€™s quite amazing, thanks.

1 Like

Hi, are you aware that just the one pic shows up? Iā€™d like to see the others if possible.
Thank you!

1 Like

screen capture. static, not interactive

source link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/992166402/art-deco-sterling-and-turquoise-ring <<<<<click

screen capture freezes the moment in time. links to web pages like ebay & etsy vanish after sale is completed

1 Like

Thank you Steve, much better with all the pics and a really nice ring too!

1 Like

Nice ring, and @Steve, good find as usual. BTW theyā€™re not actually ā€œArt Decoā€ era, more like 1950s-60s.

1 Like

yeah, my art deco Navajoā€¦no words tag was a face palm salute to another etsy sellers fantastical description :grin:

4 Likes

@chicfarmer You touched on an online listing gaffe that always makes me chuckle. Twice Iā€™ve seen listings for a sterling silver turquoise ring described as ā€˜a 1920s Art Deco Navajo ringā€™. Art Deco, um, nope.

4 Likes

I love this ring, not for itā€™s beauty alone, but because it was given by a good friend who had spent time down there and found it with a metal detector. The fact it has a pair is cool, wish I had bought it.in fact Iā€™m going to try and make one with some rare Iberian turquoise I discovered. The turquoise it would seem is linked to the ancient Iberian warrior tribes who lived here in pre-roman times. A piece of the turquoise is possibly in a museum piece of Tartessian era, a golden diadem about 2600 yrs old. Supposedly there is an as yet undiscovered golden temple in the mountain.

2 Likes

Tom, in my opinion both rings stand out for having a mass Indian jewelry supply ā€œlookā€ but possibly being made by the same hand.

Your ring has the added factors of how it came to you.

The side banter here touches on a few other threads here in the forum that highlight sellers wild descriptions and claims and certainly not on the quality or style of your ring

2 Likes

Thanks Steve. Does the fact of not having hallmark mean the maker didnā€™t bother? Or that some artists did, others didnā€™t use marks? Or that before certain year it wasnā€™t practise?

I appreciate your help.

1 Like

the long answer to your question takes up a dozen or so pages in Bille Hougarts book on identifying hallmarks, both artist and shops.

1936, in an era when few Indian handcrafted silver items were identifiable by a stamp or other mark.

Up to, and shortly after, World War II most ā€œjewelry-makers remained anonymous craftsmen
to the majority of non-native consumers"

1954 The Navajo Guild promotes hallmark use by its
members

3 Likes

Iā€™m confused, you said ā€œhereā€ when discussing the Iberian turquoise. Is that where you live? Is that Spain? Or am I misunderstanding.

1 Like

Yes. I live in the deep heart of the interior of what is now Portugal.

3 Likes

So cool!! Welcome to the site!! Iā€™ve never been overseas, but where you live looks beautiful.

So your friend found the ring in Portugal? Itā€™s lovely. I might have to Google some more to learn about the history of your area.

Edit: I just reread your title, he found it in the southwest. Guess I should read more closely :laughing:

1 Like

No my friend worked there in the south west for many yrs. Many Portuguese work abroad. They discovered Brazil. He worked there. I am a ā€œturquoise personā€, as I found turquoise here and became fascinated by it. So his ring means a lot to me.

3 Likes

This part of Iberia is quite arid.

3 Likes

Now Iā€™m curious. Are you located in Extremadura?

1 Like

Yes. The Extremadura of Spain meets with Portugal. Itā€™s where I live.

3 Likes