I'd appreciate your help with a possible maker

This belt was purchased in the 1960’s “out west”. I’m not finding any maker marks and I’d appreciate any help. Several pieces that came with it are signed Begay. It’s almost flat, very slightly curved. Thank you!

4 Likes

Cool buckle and we have a member who may be able to help. @TAH what do you think?

2 Likes

Thank you! These are almost completely foreign to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the ping, Islandmomma @SherriD Is it a lone buckle? Not sure what you mean by “several pieces that came with it are signed Begay”.

2 Likes

I think she mentioned that she bought a lot and the buckle was among The pieces in it.

1 Like

Yes, there are multiple items including a couple of signed pieces but most are not signed.

2 Likes

Typically, this type of a large, decorative center-bar buckle is found on a Phase 2 style concho belt. On original Phase 1 and Phase 2 concho belts, it is not uncommon to find that the buckle has been replaced or “updated” along the way. Your buckle could have started life on a concho belt.

Unfortunately, without a hallmark or a distinct characteristic of a well known artist, it is almost impossible to attribute this buckle to a specific maker.

I can tell you, Islandmomma is correct. It is a cool buckle. Probably Navajo. :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you. It’s on the biggest concho belt I’ve ever seen. I don’t know what a phase 1 or phase 2 is. I really appreciate your comments.

1 Like

Okay, so it’s not a lone buckle, it’s on a concho belt. Can we see a photo of the rest of the belt and the back of one of the conchos?

2 Likes

In simple terms, the difference between Phase 1 and Phase 2 is style and construction.

Phase 1 belts have conchos with “open-centers” which are cutouts for the leather strap to pass through. Typically, P1 belts have smaller harness-style buckles.

Phase 2 belts have conchos with “closed-centers” allowing for more decorative work on the front and soldered on copper loops on the back for the leather strap to pass through. Typically, P2 belts have larger, fancier buckles.

Here is a photo and video from Antiques Roadshow that shows the difference. The appraiser doesn’t really discuss Phase 1 and Phase 2, but it’s still an enjoyable video to watch.

7 Likes

Thanks very much for that info. It was very interesting. Mine seems kind of a transition from one phase to the other, maybe. The conchos have an open center, but added copper loops.

4 Likes

Thanks for the photos. I’m certainly no expert, but if I had to guess, I would say your belt is probably a revival piece from the second half of the 20th century.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I certainly don’t know. I was told it was bought “out west” in the 1960’s but he didn’t say if it was new then. I really appreciate your help.

2 Likes