ID gem turquoise mine and maker please

I love this conversation, as I do a lot of genealogy research.
Am glad that the FWP is being narrowed down quickly.

from the original post of the ring with the chopped F.W.P. mark, nothing in my earlier searches pointed to either Fred or Frank so I had nothing to offer.

bing’s copilot ai no help.

interesting sidenote observation: the name Steven Curtis appears 4 times in Hougarts 5th edition and his book is cited once TWICE in the footnotes.

edit to add a missed footnote:

2 Likes

I would say Fred and a Fred Jr as well as brother Frank. Seems that some of this work will be found to be Franks.

2 Likes

big money riding on a correct attribution me thinks

6 Likes

@Steve I agree with you. I saw this listing last night while doing a little Peshlaki research. This may be an unpopular opinion but, I wouldn’t purchase this ring at any price. To me it’s just meh. Now, I saw some Incredible turquoise jewelry last night attributed to Fred Peshlaki. Drool worthy stuff.

4 Likes

@Steve @Patina There’s a not insignificant amount of faking of the Peshlakai hallmarking added to things they didn’t make, which Kim Messier has discussed. Seeing this ring is a good reminder when the goods themselves don’t rise to the level and are offered by non-experts.

5 Likes

$7.95 shipping charge added to the sales tax stopped me from pulling the trigger on that listing :rofl:

3 Likes

Fred R. Peshlakai marriage cert witnessed by Frank Peshlakai

affidavit for marriage license with hand edit showing an R

3 Likes

Steven Curtis goes into the similar hallmarks for Fred and Frank in his book “Navajo Silversmith Fred Peshlakai”. It’s been many years since I read this book. However, Steve points out that, in his opinion (at the time he wrote the book), there are only a couple custom order pieces, and an actual FRANK PESHLAKAI signed cuff, documented as by Frank(p 87). He also explains the vetted hand engraved hallmarks for both Fred and Frank (squared off vs rounded letters), and states that “further research is clearly needed in order to distinguish which brother was the artist on certain pieces”(p.99).
Further discussion here is interesting, but is likely unproductive. I highly recommend Steve Curtis’ book. He has appraised a couple pieces for me and I’m sure he’d appreciate seeing this ring at some point.

3 Likes

@Steve. With the information we have I’m of the belief that this hallmark is Frank W. Peshlakai. Franks registration card documents his middle initial, and includes Doc Wilson as his employer. Steve Curtis’ book documents that Doc was the main source through which Fred (and Frank) obtained the high quality Nevada turquoise typically used in their work. Doc Wilson obtained the Blue Gem claims (Easter Blue) in 1927 and half of the Lone Mountain claims from Lee Hand in 1929 (per Mike Ryan, coauthor of “The Great American Turquoise Rush 1890-1910)
Anyway that’s my Non-expert opinion…and I’m sticking to it😄

5 Likes

Thanks for providing insight into the book. This is not an artist that I have ever studied or collected and I found the topic interesting. I have seen several of his pieces posted and discussed in private groups on the internet and thought they were great. I’m glad to know that Curtis had already mentioned the brothers and their hallmarks in his book. I appreciate you suggesting the book and think I shall try to find a copy to order today since I have to make another internet order.
Update: Found a signed copy and it has been ordered. I’m looking forward to learning more. :blush:

1 Like

We must be on the same wavelength @Islandmomma. I ordered Curtis’ book Saturday night. The first time I’d ever heard of Fred Peshlakai was on this forum in an older thread. (Just realized I’ve spelled Peshlakai wrong in my posts here :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:)

2 Likes

@Islandmomma & @Patina, you’ll enjoy the book. I bought it immediately after seeing the exhibit at the Wheelwright Museum years ago. It’s not only an interesting and informative read, but the pictures of Peshlakai jewelry will have you drooling😄

3 Likes

Thanks for the warning. I was afraid of the possibility of pictures. I really don’t need another artist to drool over. :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your research on this history, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Thanks for your research on this! I learned a lot and really appreciate your efforts.

3 Likes