ID Maker's Mark on Hang Tag of Navajo Pearls Silver Beads Necklace

I’ve searched other websites (Art-Amerindien and Medicine Man gallery) and tried a reverse image search to try and identify the maker, with no luck. Hoping someone here might recognize the mark. Thank you

napearlsn3

2 Likes

haha! i have a strand of graduated beads with the exact stamping, and exact same tag, and have never identified the mark. i bought these in Albuquerque Old Town in about 1993 or 1994, i think.

3 Likes

Huh. Interesting. I thought that it was so well made that the mark should be identifiable-- someone must have made the jewelry professionally. I guess it is likely to remain a mystery for a while. Thank you for responding!

1 Like

Welcome to Turquoise People. Back in January, @Jemez2 and I discussed these necklaces in another thread. My wife has one, but the tag is clearly marked, “F. Laner”. Perhaps the artist used different hallmarks or our necklaces were made by the same family. Here are my photos from that thread…

2 Likes

That seems like a good candidate to me for the artist. Thank you for posting!

1 Like

Or, at least, a good name to research. To me, your hallmark looks like an upside down “F” and “L”.

2 Likes

It looks like an ‘F’ and ‘L’ to me also. I thought maybe also a ‘T’ and an ‘F’ (with the top bar of the ‘T’ either cut off or imaginarily continuing into the top line of the ‘F’)-- no luck with that train of thought though.

1 Like

I agree. “FL” = “F. Laner” makes sense. Good luck with your research. It’s a beautiful necklace!

1 Like

One thing I have learned, is that there are many well-made Native American pieces that are not identifiable, even with a hallmark.

It’s a beautiful set of Navajo pearls, enjoy!

1 Like

I tried like the dickens to track down F. Laner! I found a few pieces by a Troy Laner, who did stamp work and used a swirly script signature stamp, and I think i found somewhere on the intertubes that he had a brother named Floyd, but hit a dead end after that. I think i did the “oh well” shrug at that point and gave up.

2 Likes