Ideas of age of two sterling hat bands and perhaps turquoise identifaction

Hello,
Just came across the two hat bands from my parents, first one I polished (maybe I shouldn’t have) and best guess at least 25 years but wonder what turquoise might be. The second with the conchos that I didn’t polish I have no idea as to the age, but it appears turquoise is not stabilized as some are turning green. If anyone has any ideas or information about either, I would appreciate your input. Both I believe came from New Mexico, and without taking all apart, I did not see any hallmarks, but pretty confident both are sterling. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Can we see pictures of them?

1 Like

hat band plsh1
hat band plsh2
hat band plsh2
concho hat band 1
conco hat band2

conco hat band 4

Sorry - just couldn’t remember to upload - thanks!

1 Like

I haven’t commented till now because I have no info for you, but I really like them, especially the second one. I love the old leather. Almost makes me want to wear a cowboy hat!

2 Likes

These would be Navajo handmade. Without hallmark probably not going to be able to attribute an artist. Hatbands have seen a resurgence and a number of different artists are making them now.

6 Likes

Thank you Jason for the information and great photo with all those beautiful bands. Guess now I need to find a suitable hat to wear these on. Ziacat, appreciate your thoughts on both, and yes I prefer the second one. That is why I left it dull, didn’t know if I should go through the effort to polish it. Still wonder the age of the second one, believe it is a fair bit older than the first.

2 Likes

Definitely find a hat!! In the meantime I wonder if you could wrap them a couple/three times around your wrist for a cuff. I’m drawn to the old leather. I know a lady who makes all kinds of things including hat bands, belts, and cuffs using old found leather, a lot of it from the late 1800s. She uses driving reigns and pieces from old saddles and such. She cleans it up and makes it into jewelry. She often works with Navajos artists. Her pieces remind me of yours!

1 Like

Are you thinking Brit West?

2 Likes

You got it. I met her at an art fair in Park City a few years back. Hers is the only jewelry I’ve bought online, because I was able to look at her items there. I’m just a little bit addicted to her style.

2 Likes