Identification of Hallmark Needed

Hello…would love it if someone knew the artist behind this hallmark. I have a few pieces marked with this. Thanks ahead of time for any info you can give me.

3 Likes

nothing in 5th edition AL conjoined

Funny, but I see a VL. Interesting hallmark.

Yes I checked all the books and I can’t find any. The L is backwards which is confusing unless it’s Meant to look like a J?

1 Like

Yup. Unidentified. I wonder if it could be Pacific NW tribe work?

They certainly look Hopi…wish someone knew the hallmark. I really like these earrings!

1 Like

I was thinking they look like Navajo overlay, not Hopi; there is no etching in the black that I can see, although I know there are definitely exceptions. I couldn’t find it in my Hopi hallmark book.

2 Likes

Certainly could be… maybe I should have called it Hopi overlay style. That said, I’ve seen quite a few Hopi pieces without obvious etching in the oxidized background. So could be either I guess…. Some how, to my individual eye it just seemed Hopi. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

And you may be right; I’m not as nearly as knowledgeable and experienced as you are. But with a hallmark I figured it was more recent, and I was thinking the Hopi pieces that weren’t etched were older.

@AP57 you could contact the Hopi Cultural Center gift shop on Second Mesa, AZ to see if they are familiar with this hallmark. They helped me figure out info on a cuff of mine.

2 Likes