Identify bear claw necklace for me please

Can anyone tell me if this is a real or fake bear claw necklace. Also more info on it would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Look at the underside and see if the is a natural grove. Pretty necklace.

1 Like

Definitely looks genuine.

1 Like

plastic “claws” are usually molded w/groove & often fairly well colored. plastic smells like melted plastic when stuck w/a very hot pin.

other species are often substituted for bear,btw.

4 Likes

Wow thank you for the picture. Does look legit to me how exciting. Any idea what the value on something like this is?

Thank you for commenting. I’m excited that it’s legit.

Thank you for your knowledge, greatly appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you examine your claw to see if it has a groove? As @newpawn mentions, plastic imitations can mimic that, and other claws can appear similar.

It has a 70s look, with that barrel clasp and layout.

I recommend searching eBay Sold listings for comparables.

3 Likes

was remembering an amber identification story but not where/when I heard it…

“MY amber is real cuz it’s got bugs in it”…sigh,you don’t know you can stir bugs into the plastic before it hardens?

4 Likes

Sorry @Gamer1010. I remember back when the under groove was not molded in the plastic pieces. Stands to reason many molds for plastic claws include this detail. As @newpawn mentioned, a very hot pin placed in an inconspicuous area will smell like burning plastic. Studying size, shapes, and colors of bear claws may help as well.

1 Like

Also, if you’re selling it know the state’s laws. It’s illegal to sell bear claws in some states. If it’s real.

5 Likes

I can’t tell the size of the claw on your necklace, but I’m reposting this picture I had posted in another thread a while ago. Maybe it can help give you a slight idea of the size of a small black bear claw. We have a taxidermied black bear that my father bought from a friend in northern MI who had a museum that was closing. The bear had been in an exhibit. We ended up putting it on display in our family business which has now closed, so I took Mr. bear, and he resides with us :grin:

3 Likes

Anyone seen the Sioux Falls, SD museum having issues with Arsenic used in the vintage taxidermy exhibit specimens.

yeah,but not the only one?

makes me wonder how dangerous it actually is if one,say refrains from licking the dust pan?

1 Like

I’ve been in touch with the mayors office to offer ideas and suggestions based on my environmental experience. I also used it back in the 70s prepping specimens for the college museum. I’m still here. But these new generations have embraced “safety stupid” in my opinion. And with everything else going on :thinking:

2 Likes

I like my bear. I’m not going to worry about it.

3 Likes

Right on @Ziacat :+1:

1 Like

just no french kisses

( adding x-tra characters )

I wasn’t aware. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

I like “ bear claw” jewelry more than a lot of folks do I think. Identifying whether it’s real, badger, man made or
other material has required a lot of examination and trial and error.
This claw could be real, the 70’s -80’s vibe on the piece supports that. But as said a simple hot pin test will be determinate.
Fun fact - many very early bear claw necklaces- like those collected by Lewis and Clark were made of antlers, carved and colored to look like real bear.
I see a lot of badger claws out there today. These usually are easy to tell because of their thinner and sharper profile.

1 Like