Identify squash blossom

Any info of maker, age, quality, time period would be appreciated

9 Likes

Welcome! Very nice necklace but I’m not much help on the mark or turquoise mine. I can say it’s probably late 70s or 1980s Navajo made. The beads are machine stamped, hand soldered.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. I also have a smaller coral squash blossom. Both belonged to my mother.

4 Likes

Why don’t you post a picture of the coral one as well. I’m sure there are others besides myself that would love to see it. Thanks for sharing your other one. It’s nice.

3 Likes

Any info on this would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Did anyone else see a Star of David on the turquoise one?

I am still trying to make out the first(?) letter of the hallmark.

No, I don’t see a Star of David on the turquoise SB but could be overlooking it. The maker’s mark looks like “SMY” to me, but when I did a search on that earlier nothing came up.

Here is where I saw the star.
Some of the sharpness was lost when I downloaded and cropped the image.

9-29-23 squash necklace crop 1
9-29-23 squash necklace crop 2

5 Likes

no exact match found in 5th edition

1 Like

Thank you for reposting photos. The Star of David is clearly visible in that bottom photo.

1 Like

I did some searching for that hallmark on a squash blossom. Did not find anything.
The second photo I posted is Photoshopped. I added the black lines to emphasize where I saw the star. The first photo was cropped from your post and sharpened.
When I am working in Photoshop, everything looks very much more clear then when I post it here.

2 Likes

I’m new to this forum. If you have time, would you be so kind as to share the full title of the book that you referenced (“5th edition”) in your post? I’m thinking I may need to add a new book to my library… Thanks.

1 Like

I think he is referencing Billie Hobart’s books. There are several editions and are the go to for Native Hallmarks.

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

1 Like
3 Likes

Sorry, I had the name wrong.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the book info. I’ll definitely check into ordering this book. Right now, I’m using 2 online resources to I.D. hallmarks. They’re helpful, but limited.

1 Like

I lost count how many times I’ve typed Hobarts

3 Likes