Identifying hallmarks - LA, nb, HI

I have a few pieces I received from my grandfather and I need some help identifying the hallmarks.

Belt buckle appears to have a symbol, vertical LA and sterling.

Ring has sterling and what I think looks like nb.

Pin has 14k and maybe HI?

2 Likes

Love them! Have you checked the Amerindien website for hallmarks? When I have a chance I’ll look, but there are others on here with more resources, also.

The symbol with the LA mark is the Zia sun symbol, which is on the NM state flag (and their license plates). So maybe that artist is possibly from New Mexico?

Sorry, I meant to blow up just the flag and forgot.

Oooh can we see the belt that’s in the background?

1 Like

google image search results : < click

bing image search results : < click

note regular zia symbol 4 lines vs buckle hallmark with 3 lines

1 Like

Right, but still looks a modified Zia symbol.

Welcome to Turquoise People, glad to have you here. The style of the buckle and ring are very similar and appear to be same era. Lots of times this style is a shop made, like the Zia being a shop symbol and the LA the artist who works in the shop the one who inlaid the piece. This age of Navajo inlay makes sense for it to be shop work. However, that is just a theory. I couldn’t find anything on the hallmarks. The dragonfly appears to be cast with diamonds/gem setting, manufactured piece. Thanks for sharing and sorry I didn’t have names for those marks.

Here it is!

10 Likes

Well, that’s pretty. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Awesome belt! Is it signed?

I’m liking that cuff in the background.

1 Like

It is!

3 Likes

This is the cuff!

2 Likes

Nice belt! I have one with the same hallmark and had asked about it here back in 2018. Interesting that yours says Dan Martinez; that was one of my theories for the maker of mine but I never was able to find much info on him.

1 Like