Identifying Santo Domingo Necklaces

@Jason

I’m wondering about these Santo Domingo Necklaces! This first one has brass beads and clam shells,W/two large coral beads and one turquoise bead for a center! Im wondering if it may be Tony Aguilar!
The second has pipestone and serpentine and a handmade pendant! Thanks in advance! PAM

3 Likes

I love the second one in particular. Has like a modern take on the old depression era necklaces.

These really don’t look like Tony Aguilar’s work. It is hard to say where they are from as so many of these style of necklaces were made for the tourist trade, not all of them came from the Santo Domingo pueblo.

1 Like

I know you can’t say definitively that yours are Santo Domingo unless you have verification of it, and I know things can look different IRL vs photos, but they look Santo Domingo (Kewa) to me. I’m not familiar with Tony Aguilar, but from what I googled I agree they don’t really look like his work. But then a lot of Santo Domingo necklaces have a similar look.

These are two that I have that are definitely Santo Domingo/Kewa. Bought them from the artists directly, and they remind me a little bit of yours. Did you get yours from someone that seemed honest about what Pueblo they were from? But I do think it’s really hard to identify what artist without some sign kind of hallmark.

5 Likes

I believe most of these are Santo Domingo! :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Nice Mary Tafoya pendant

3 Likes

Thank you, I love her jewelry. I have several of her pendants, but have always liked her pendant/necklace combos, so finally broke down and bought this one. I loved the color of the turquoise with the colors on the flower.

I have one of her bird pendants, and often when I wear it here in IN people will say, “that’s beautiful, did you make it?” Hahahah, sigh. Hoosiers mostly aren’t very familiar with Native American art.

1 Like

Fabulous pieces posted! Most of my Kewa necklaces are the older traditional style. These are a few…the 2 on the right are by Robert Lewis Tenorio (son of Howard Tenorio). That family does the most exceptional hand rolled beads.

5 Likes