Indigenous Jewelry Network on TV

You guys…I nearly fell off my chair when I saw a man making Native turquoise jewelry on TV.
It’s Indigenous jewelry Television, IJN, a new shopping channel. (IJNetwork.tv)
Apparently Maynard Garcia from Santo Domingo has been broadcasting a bunch of jewelry making videos and selling jewelry made by him and other artists.
I first saw this a few months ago, and the broadcasting content has been expanding since then, with interviews with artists and other native programming.

I get this locally (in Albuquerque)on channel 21-7 on regular antenna TV, not cable. (I won’t pay for cable!)
You can watch live, or go to the website and see it there, too.

It looks like they want to have a shopping channel to compete with JTV and others.
Here are some photos I took of my TV screen.

8 Likes

@Ziacat , don’t you have an awesome ring from Milford Calamity? His rings are featured in this broadcast! See the second photo I posted

2 Likes

Thanks, I do, I bought it at the Eiteljorg Art Market last year.

Cool, I see that now! Your link works, I’ll totally have to check it out. Thanks for posting this!!

Here’s his ring…

8 Likes

I drooled over that ring the last time you showed it, and I’m drooling again! Superb!

3 Likes

It’s really beautiful :smiley: What kind of turquoise is it?

3 Likes

Thank you, I love it too. He’s going to be at the Eiteljorg again in 2 weeks, so who knows maybe I’ll get another one!

That’s going to really be fun to watch the stuff on the link that you sent.

2 Likes

He told me it is natural Ithaca Peak turquoise. When it’s in the sun it’s got some gold glints in it.

Boy did my voice texting butcher that…:rofl:

3 Likes

Looks like an interesting site and quality items. However, we don’t watch TV (or even have one), and at $1300 for a ring, I’ll happily yield to others.

1 Like

@StevesTrail
If it wasn’t for PBS and old black and white movies, I wouldn’t watch TV at all!

Yeah, much of the stuff was overpriced, but I was really mesmerized by watching the guy work.
I mean, we all use similar techniques, but it’s cool to watch someone else, to learn new ways of doing things!

2 Likes

Well, I admit to having a TV and prob spending too much time watching it (I like my shows dang it :laughing:), but am not on Facebook so I guess it balances out…

I didn’t spend on my Milford Calamity ring anywhere near the price of the first ring, however it was the most expensive ring I’ve bought, but well worth it. I don’t shop for Native American jewelry online (except some Britwest pieces that she has collaborated on with Native artists), because I like to see and try on stuff before I buy. I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at something (even in a case in a store), thought I’d like it, saw it up close, and went meh, not so much. Because I really limit when and where I shop, I feel I can spend a bit more when I do purchase. But I know that through the years I’ve been able to find great stuff at good prices when I’m out west, although now some of my favorite places are closed.

I’m chuckling when you say “we all use similar techniques.” Nope, nope, not me! I will just admire those of you who have those skills :grin:

BTW, he does stamp a lot of his pieces 925, so some Native artists do use that.

4 Likes

We watch the old movies as well. We have a dvd collection of old and international films and go to the library for movies.

I agree @Stracci , watching silversmithing rather than working at it would be fascinating and we can always learn from another’s techniques. For those that do not make jewelry it would be special to see a piece created then purchase that same item.

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s old news but i’m really enjoying some of the Youtube series on NA artists at work, for instance:

There’s also some really nice ones about Tufa casting (workshops)

5 Likes

Thank you for the link, sometimes I forget about this channel. I have only watched a few of these videos, but I definitely saw the one about Charlie John. I have a cuff by him that I bought as pawn in Gallup, New Mexico many years ago. It’s one of my favorite pieces. Now it will definitely have to remember to watch more!

4 Likes

I have watched several of these and I love Zeke! That young man is committed to keeping the old ways alive. He is trying to follow the traditional ways of his people and has teachers for various aspects. He gives talks in addition to making his jewelry. I have been impressed with what I have seen.

7 Likes

Thanks for the share! I’m looking forward to these episodes.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these links, glad I ran across the post! My mom can’t get out west anymore, will enjoy watching these :slight_smile:

1 Like