Inherited ranger set, looking for info and value

I have my father’s ranger set, signed Larry M. Chavez. I’m interested in any info on it and the belt (do I see a pictograph of some sort, or imagine it?), and an idea of the expected value. Thanks all!

9 Likes

Here’s a similar set on eBay. I checked “completed items” to get a better idea of value, but came up empty. Obviously, the genuine crocodile belt adds value to this one.

3 Likes

Another…

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1263807529/vtg-larry-martinez-chavez-navajo?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

2 Likes

it pays to shop around.

1 Like

Thanks for all that input! It’s just crazy, isn’t it… people seem to pick numbers out of the sky to put on these things. I don’t know anything about our belt, except it isn’t crocodile! That’s why i wondered if the outlined shape i saw on the inside meant anything, I will dig more.

Our set has a lot of patina vs these :wink:

This does give me some idea how to proceed- thanks!

(I saw a biography for a Larry Martinez Chavez, Navajo, on the Bischoff Gallery page, assume that is someone different?)

1 Like

I saw that bio too. I assumed it was the same artist. According to Steve’s research, Larry used two hallmarks.

Regardless, of all the ranger set examples shown, I like your set the most.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: my dad loved the green stones

1 Like

Good Morning @tepowell. The original buckle you posted is completely hand fabricated and inlayed. Turquoise appears to be high quality Chinese, expertly cut and meticulously hand inlaid. The workmanship is outstanding. I can’t speak to current “market” pricing because none of sellers behind these listings seem to have even the slightest idea what they actually have for sale.

Were one to hand fabricate and inlay a buckle like this today the fair retail value would easily be from $1,800 to around $2,400.

All of the buckles posted are outstanding in terms of craftsmanship. Your father’s is unique in that it appears to be the only one in the group which has been completely hand fabricated from scratch from sheet and wire. The others look like really professional quality lost wax castings, with equally outstanding top quality inlay. The lost wax cast buckles might sell for a bit less - say 1,200 to 1,500 fair retail if made today, but even so, at the listed prices they’re all ridiculously cheap, and priced below fair retail for even 30 years ago.

9 Likes

Wow, thanks so much for that detailed response! It does really pay to so your research, I’m so appreciative of the expertise being shared here.

Not everyone will be able to appreciate what it is, or how it’s different from others for sale, so, although we are ready to sell it, getting fair value might be a challenge. ( I will no doubt be rehoming a number of quality family NA pieces before too long so might do best holding on to it.)

Thanks again @mmrogers, and all, I appreciate more than I can say.

3 Likes

and then there is this…Selkirk Auctioneers in 2020

I guess someone got a deal

3 Likes

Insanely cheap. Once had a guy call me up to gloat after having purchased one of our 14K and Sterling rangers at a thrift store (had absolutely no idea what they had) for $3.

3 Likes

another apparent steal-this one looks handmade too?

2 Likes

All hand fabricated. Beautiful work too. That one will polish right up and look like a million bucks.

3 Likes