Inherited squash blossom-identification request

New to the site and we acquired many items from my mother in law and cannot identify as we are not familiar with turquoise. This is one of the items that actually has a hallmark but cannot locate. Can anyone please assist?

10 Likes

the 1976 date is key

these 2 artist signatures are close but no match

3 Likes

First off great Turquoise! I’m looking at the combination of beads and rods and wondering if this is an artisan piece rather than NA. The great turquoise boom of the 70’s brought out a lot of different artists and I’m thinking this may be one. It’s a great squash and I’d wear it in a heartbeat!

5 Likes

I was wondering the same thing as @Islandmomma. I don’t know squashes as well, they’re kind of out of my wheelhouse, but something about it didn’t look quite native made. As far as to the hallmarks I don’t believe it would be the second one, because it really doesn’t appear to be Hopi. Maybe Google the Anglo artist and see if the work matches up.

5 Likes

Thank y’all very much.

1 Like

Welcome and thanks for showing us your piece! I agree with @Islandmomma and @Ziacat…my first thought was, wow, interesting turquoise! But, the construction, especially the attachment of the beads to the Naja, doesn’t look native. I remember an knowledgable friend discussing all the “hippies” (ha!) making squash blossoms in the 1960 & 70’s. Always great to have a date on the piece.

2 Likes

in your 1st photo it looks like the colors got washed out compared with the other 2 where the background appears as black.

which side is correct?

2 Likes

It would be the right side for accuracy of background color.

1 Like

notice the “POP” of color now in the turquoise on the right.

if you have any plans of offering these online, getting accurate sharp color details could mean the difference in bidder/buyer interest resulting in a better price realized.

it also helps us trying to evaluate the mine source of the turquoise itself

4 Likes

Great job on the color enhancement. It reinforces what my mind was seeing. It’s gorgeous turquoise!

2 Likes

100% agree that it looks artisanal vs. Native made. Enjoy your necklace, @BayouBlondie!

2 Likes

color “correction” in photoshop is based on what colors in a photograph should be black, gray or white but don’t appear that way after a tablet, cellphone or point-n-shoot on “auto” takes a shot under indoor lighting, flash or a combination of both

it is a one click sample from one area that converts all colors to a more real appearance.

4 Likes

He all have been very helpful in this very short period of time. I truly appreciate the knowledge of this item and so glad I came across this site.

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining that. You do a great job and it’s not something that I’m familiar with at all. I’m glad you are because it is helped out immensely in a number of different situations.

3 Likes

just wanted to be sure everyone understands the difference between a “correction” and “enhancement”

4 Likes

Whoa…yep enhancement can actually get crazy, almost psychedelic :smile:. Like tripping out man.
But, thanks Steve…good examples of both the good and bad of photoshopping!

2 Likes