Inlay Pendant Hummingbird signed "R.B." in script - RAYMOND BOYD?

Hello, I own this beautiful set of a pendant and matching earrings - all signed “R.B.” in script. I did some research and stumbled over Silversmith Raymond Boyd who also does multistone inlay work with the motif of hummingbirds. I found the following quote: “Raymond Boyd a Navajo silversmith for Ortega specializing in Zuni-style inlaid birds. Signed in script “R. Boyd,” before 1980. Raymond started using the 1/16 Gothic print stamp “RAYMOND BOYD” in 1980.”
Does anybody know if he also used “R.B.” in script as his hallmark? Or is there another Zuni silversmith which uses “R.B.”? Thanks to all of you

2 Likes

I have a pair of hummingbird earrings much like yours, except they have post backs. They have a similar signature. I’ve assumed they were made by Raymond Boyd. What interests me is that this type of inlay looks Zuni, but Raymond Boyd is Navajo.

Aside from the signature, I used the decorative flowers to identify the maker, rather than the hummingbirds themselves. They look like rosebuds, don’t they? That red flower with the pointed tip and the alternating green leaves on a dark stem seem to be distinctive. I love their simplicity. They remind me of flowers in Pennsylvania Dutch and Eastern European folk art.

But the best thing of course is the hummingbird. What a genius detail to use an iridescent abalone shell to depict its back, which corresponds with the iridescence of the bird’s feathers.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the details! Still puzzled about the origin - Navajo or Zuni? Raymond Boyd seems to be indeed Navajo but the style is definitely Zuni.

@Maggie

To me, it looks like Wayne Silvers work, a silversmith for the Montana Mining Company… if you google his name, you might see some of his other work.

If I had to go on the “RB”, I would guess Richard Begay, a Navajo silversmith.
Wayne Silvers, a Navajo silversmith for Montana Mining Company does very similar work, imho.
You should be able to find examples of their work on a Google search of their name(s).
Hope this helps!?

Thanks. Google did not bring a result and I doubt Wayne Silvers did this piece - the scripted Initials do not match and I am convinced it was made in the Southwest by Zuni or Navajo silversmith.

Richard Begay has done inlay work but used traditional Navajo symbols (cornplant, Yei fgures…). Although he used his initails “RB” it was not scripted. Hmmmm, I do not think this is a match…

1 Like

Beautiful pieces. Raymond Boyd is a Navajo artist who still makes this same style. We think of this inlay style of birds being Zuni because so many Zuni artists do it. The new pieces I just saw had the stamp hallmark. Your pieces do look like they have some age, 37 years old I am not sure. Artists will have to replace hallmark stamps overtime and at times will be without a hallmark and use something to etch their name into the back. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason for your detailed answer. This forum with all the people contributing is such a big help

While Navajos and Zunis in general have different styles, they often borrow each other’s techniques, so sometimes it’s hard to tell if a piece is Navajo or Zuni based solely on traditional tribal style.

2 Likes

I dont know if my pictures will show, yet I just bought this necklace signed “R.Boyd” and “Sterling”. It appears as if the bracelet matches, yet there is no signature and the cardinals are different. Same inlay style, however.

My question is how do you polish without harming the inlays? Qtips with serious care? Suggestions/advice?

Does anyone recognize the bracelet?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You can use something like this. Bri-Shine Silver Puff and Silver Polishing Glove Reviews – Viewpoints.com

2 Likes

When Polishing something like this. I use a silver cloth it works well and won’t damage the inlay.

1 Like